4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2008 11:22 PM by (klee_john)

After Effect CS3 Freeze

Hi: Yesterday I bought and installed my After Effect CS3 professional. However, every time I start AE it freezes... can't do nothing...I have to force the AE to close. Anyone know what's causing this. I am using Windows XP with Adobe Premier CS3 Matrox RTX2. Please help if you know. thanks.
        • 1. Re: After Effect CS3 Freeze
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          At which point during startup does it freeze? What's the last status message on the splash screen? Quite possible you need to uninstall your Matrox driver first, reset your graphics config, then reinstall it. I've heard of similar issues from Max users with MXOs quite a bit... Also: what's your graphics card? Since the Matrox drivers usually create a virtual desktop/ monitor, you may encounter a conflict there as well.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: After Effect CS3 Freeze
            Level 1
            Hi Mylenium thank you for replying so quickly. When I launch AE in the splash screen while AE is loading...it says...3% of 2.6GB is used...then loads a bunch of things then displays in the splash screen cleaning-Matrox...and shortly after it loads and opens AE. As soon as I click the menu with my mouse it freezes and does not respond. I wait about a minute or two and it works for a few seconds then freezes again. here is the whole thing:

I have Matrox RTX2 LE and my graphic card is NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700. I am having major problems with this and I have to complete a project before December 28. Even installing this matrox is a nightmare since its very sensitive...where I have to install all programs and stuff and at the end install Matrox. Please let me know what I should do to resolve this issue.
            • 3. Re: After Effect CS3 Freeze
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              Mmh, can you not just simply remove the Matrox plugin and associated DLLs from your AE directory? Apparently it is in place and causes issues, but if you are not dependent on the external comp preview, this would be the easiest way to prevent the hang.... just move it to a safe place outside the AE folder. As a downside, you may not be able to use Matrox specific CoDecs for rendering (they might crash upon selecting them), also, but that's just a minor issue I would think. You can always render a normal QT movie and import it to wherever you need...

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: After Effect CS3 Freeze
                Level 1
                I tried to remove the plugins folder but AE still hang. I don't know how to remove the entire matrox files from AE. The reason I got matrox was because I want to product HD content. As I said it works perfectly fine with Premier CS3. I think it s a simple issue. I don't know what other avenue I can try to correct this problem.