34 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 4:55 PM by Rick Gerard Branched to a new discussion.

Dynamic Link is a LIE!

craulmedia Level 1
      Never, never, never get the idea using Dynamic Link inbetweeen Adobe apps - especially inbetween PPr + AE + Encore. Just simply forget it.

import/export the "old school way" an get your job done, do not believe in that marketing "gadged".

AND: sorry for the watchtowers of Adobe - get your homework done or get grounded.
      I´m not telling lies. ADOBE IS TELLING LIES! Go and test your software with a one hour show completely made with Master Collection from A to B, not with a bunch of clips in the tutorial timeline!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of people in forums around europe are laughing (or even crying) their ***** off.

sorry guy for bad news
        • 1. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
          Hi my name is David McGavran. One of the engineers who worked on dynamiclink. Instead of getting angry and posting lots of exclamation points, how about we talk. What exactly is causing you problems. If you can show me then we can address your issues. Dynamiclink is not a marketing gimmick, it is a technology we developed to help you solve problems. If it isn't doing that then it is our fault. We will fix it if you work with us. I am available to work with you to solve you problems, but be aware I am on break for the next two weeks. I will be happy to address this topic when I return. If you can, please tell me your platform, workflow and specific issues and I will see what I can do.
          • 2. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
            Level 1
            I use Dynamic Link every day with no problems. I'm not sure what problems you are having. Nothing specific in your post.
            • 3. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              This is BBC Radio 1 (doing Aled impersonation from the Chris Moyles show): LIE is a movie from 2001 also known as "Long Island Expressway" in which a young boy discovers his homosexuality. Homosexual is the opposite of heterosexual, commonly referred to as straight. Straight is also a connection between two points, known as a line. A line can also be a connection between two locations and then it is called a link. On the internet connections are established dynamically, therefore it is a dynamic link. "The Dynamics" is a jazz/ soul cover band formed in 2003. Our song for today therefore is: "The Dynamics" with "Whole Lotta Love".... Let's spread some love, guys. ;-)

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                Level 1
                Thomas_Craul@adobeforums.com wrote:
                > Never, never, never get the idea using Dynamic Link inbetweeen Adobe apps - especially inbetween PPr + AE + Encore. Just simply forget it.
                >
                > import/export the "old school way" an get your job done, do not believe in that marketing "gadged".
                >
                > AND: sorry for the watchtowers of Adobe - get your homework done or get grounded.
                > I´m not telling lies. ADOBE IS TELLING LIES! Go and test your software with a one hour show completely made with Master Collection from A to B, not with a bunch of clips in the tutorial timeline!!!!!!!!!!!
                >
                > A lot of people in forums around europe are laughing (or even crying) their ***** off.
                >
                > sorry guy for bad news

Something more concrete than a vague rant would be both more helpful and
                taken more seriously.
                • 5. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                  Level 1
                  Here is one problem with Dynamic Link (CS4)

Dynamic Link has a problem with using the same video clip pasted from Premiere Pro (avi) in different After Effects projects. If you have multiple After Effects Projects that utilize the same clip "ALL" dynamic links will be effected if you only change "ONE" of the After Effects projects.

P4 3.4 ghz
                  4 gig ram
                  geforce 6800 xt
                  Vista 64 bit (Clean Install)
                  Asus p5n32-sli deluxe (Bios and chipset updated)
                  All drivers updated
                  Premiere Pro Cs4 4.0.1
                  • 6. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                    Level 1
                    David Mcgavran here. I am an engineer on dynamiclink. Instead of the exclamation points lets talk and see if we can help you. Please post some specific issues and I will look into them and let you know. please post specifics about your platform/versions/updates and problems. We didn't make a marketing idea we made a technology that should help you do things easier. If dynamiclink doesn't work it is our fault but we can't help if you simply complain.
                    • 7. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                      Level 1
                      tlc51369, I don't understand what you are trying to do. If you paste from PPro to AE you didn't make a dynamiclink.

Can you give specific steps to get into the problem you are reporting?

Thanks

Dave
                      • 8. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                        Level 1
                        >tlc51369, I don't understand what you are trying to do. If you paste from PPro to AE you didn't make a dynamic link.

If I have a dynamic link already (that I am pasting to) or if I import through dynamic link it doesnt matter. Either way shows the same behavior.

I want two different dynamic links utilizing the same clip. One DL After Effects project has a clip with slow motion applied. Another DL After Effects project has the "SAME" pasted clip with a black and white effect applied. So far so good. Now I want to go back to the one with black and white and give a curve adjustment. I save the project and then close. Once I come back to the Premiere project to do some more work "BOTH" DL's are Black and White with the curve Adjustment. The first DL with the Slow motion applied has changed to the Black and White Curve adjustment. It won't let me make different adjustments without effecting each other. Even though they are to different DL's with different After Effects project names.
                        • 9. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                          craulmedia Level 1
                          Dear Mr. David McGavran, by all respect from the Adobe engineers, but i will give you a link to Adobe.tv RED Workflow, explained in 35 Minutes as an example what i´m talking about.

http://tv.adobe.com/#vi+f1510v1004

if you can call this "workflow", congrats!
                          for me, it´s green tomatoes.

However.
                          You can kill my Account here, i think im done.

regards,
                          Thomas
                          • 10. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                            Level 1
                            Any word on this?
                            • 11. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                              Hi my name is Al and here is my current dilemma. I loaded CS4 production premium on my new hp this Christmas running Vista Ultimate and after trying out these great new features, I was excited...that is until today. I'd used Dynamic Link in PPro to add some nice effects from AE and it was all good. I logged in today and WHAM, I get this message "Failed to connect to Adobe After Effects Dynamic Link". I tried to use it from AE and got the same response but with PPro instead. Is it me or is there a bug in the program(s)?
                              I appreciate any and all help. Thanks.
                              • 12. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                fuaho Level 1
                                Here are some specifics as well as I remember them:

Open After Effects (9.0.1.51). Create a New\Composition named A_DynLinkTest.

Open Adobe Bridge (3.0.0.464).

Open Premiere Pro (4.0.1) project with three video tracks and eight audio tracks.

Click on File\Adobe Dynamic Link\New After Effects Composition. Accept parameters and click OK. Save As DynLinkToPr.aep

There are now two compositions in the Project Window of Ae. One titled A_DynLinkTest and one with the Premiere project name followed by Linked Comp 02.

There is no information in either composition except Type (composition) and Duration (delta00900) the assigned length.

There is no data, no clips, no filepath, no size; nothing.

Delete the Pr composition from the Ae project window.

In Ae: File\Adobe Dynamic Link\Import Premiere Pro Sequence and receive error message "After Effects: Adobe Premiere Pro Dynamic Link Server is busy. Dynamic Link is only supported in one direction per session. Click OK.

Exit Pr, Reload and re-open Premiere project.

Same error message from Ae.

Exit Pr & Ae. Reload and re-open both Ae & Pr & Premiere project.

In Ae: File\Adobe Dynamic Link\Import Premiere Pro Sequence. Select Project and Sequence. Click OK.

The Premiere project appears with the project file name as a Composition and as a Dynamic Link Premiere Sequence with a Size, Duration and File Path.

Dragging the Dynamic Link Premiere Sequence to the Composition window timeline shows the video to be played. Going back to Premiere and changing the visible track is reflected in Ae. e.g., Left or Right, whichever is the top. No audio carries over.

Add a Color Balance Effect to the Ae timeline to make it bluer. Effect is visible in Ae, but no change in Pr.

What is being linked? I thought changes made in Ae would be reflected in the Pr timeline so no rendering, exporting, importing needed to be done...
                                • 13. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                  fuaho Level 1
                                  And on a related issue, read this thread:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b76657/2
                                  • 14. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                    Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee
                                    Hi William,

According to your description above, Dynamic Link is working correctly but you've got your expectations backwards.

Specifically, you've imported your Premiere Pro project into After Effects. That means changes you make to the Premier Pro project (ie., edits or effects applied in Premiere Pro) will appear inside of After Effects, not the other way around. Remember that Dynamic Link is a one-way delivery mechanism from one application to another, not a way to pass changes back and forth between apps.

The About Dynamic Link article in After Effects CS4 Help has more details about how to use Dynamic Link and describes example cases for its use.
                                    • 15. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                      fuaho Level 1
                                      Tim,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, some of what you suggest apparently does not function properly.

In my previous post, the first part relates that:

"Open After Effects (9.0.1.51). Create a New\Composition named A_DynLinkTest. Note: skipping this step makes no difference.

Open Adobe Bridge (3.0.0.464).

Open Premiere Pro (4.0.1) project with three video tracks and eight audio tracks.

Click on File\Adobe Dynamic Link\New After Effects Composition. Accept parameters and click OK. Save As DynLinkToPr.aep

There are now two compositions in the Project Window of Ae. One titled A_DynLinkTest and one with the Premiere project name followed by Linked Comp 02.

There is no information in either composition except Type (composition) and Duration (delta00900) the assigned length.

There is no data, no clips, no filepath, no size; nothing."

According to your description, this procedure should now have an After Effects composition imported into Premiere meaning that changes made to the Ae composition will appear inside of Premiere, not the other way around. However, since there is nothing in the Ae Composition, not much can be changed!

The only way I can get anything to appear in Ae is by using, "Replace with After Effects Composition." This is not mentioned anywhere in the documentation on pages 42 thru 47. In fact, that whole section of the documentation is rather too general and feels like it was just hurredly thrown together by someone who doesn't actually know or understand how Dynamic Linking works.

There is a further lack of transparency on page 45 where the Soundbooth demo video would lead one to believe that a Dynamic Link to Sb would allow work to be done on the Premiere sequence's audio. This is not, in fact, the case and is offhandedly covered by the sentence, "...resulting video previews provide helpful visual references for audio edits..."

By taking steps not mentioned or outlined in the users' guide and wasting time experimenting rather than implementing, I have managed to accomplish some of my intended tasks. Unfortunately, it was far more complicated than it needed to be.

There is nothing more frustrating for those of us who actually do RTFM than to realize that there is no useful information there!

Dynamic Linking has been touted as a major time-saving feature of CS4, but without proper and accurate documentation, is a time-waster.

Hopefully, the appropriate team(s) will take the time to better understand this function and rectify these shortcomings sooner rather than later.

And I would welcome any insights into how "New After Effects Composition" is supposed to work from Premiere.

TIA,
                                      • 16. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                        Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee
                                        Aha. I think I see where you got tangled up now.

>According to your description, this procedure should now have an After Effects composition imported into Premiere meaning that changes made to the Ae composition will appear inside of Premiere, not the other way around. However, since there is nothing in the Ae Composition, not much can be changed!

This is correct. Remember that when you use the File > Adobe Dynamic Link > New After Effects Composition command, you get a new, empty After Effects comp in the Premiere Pro project bin. You're not going to get any content in it, nor is it going to appear automatically in the timeline.

If you want to send content from Premiere Pro to After Effects as a Dynamic Link comp (so that changes to that content are reflected back in Premiere Pro), you need to use the Replace with After Effects Composition (as you discovered).

>The only way I can get anything to appear in Ae is by using, "Replace with After Effects Composition." This is not mentioned anywhere in the documentation on pages 42 thru 47.

I assume you're referring to the page numbers in the PDF (I use the online version), and the articles titled "Working with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects" and "After Effects and Dynamic Link".

> In fact, that whole section of the documentation is rather too general and feels like it was just hurredly thrown together by someone who doesn't actually know or understand how Dynamic Linking works.

I'll let Todd respond to your comments about Help, as he's the person who wrote nearly all of After Effects Help (though the sections on Dynamic Link were adapted from work by another of our writers). He's always happy to receive feedback, and you can leave specific comments about the content on the relevant pages of the online version.

>And I would welcome any insights into how "New After Effects Composition" is supposed to work from Premiere.

As stated above, it's just a quick shortcut to create an empty After Effects comp. Let's say, for example, that you're working on the edit and you know you have to put a title card in, and you know you're going to do the title in After Effects. Instead of launching After Effects, creating a new project and comp, saving it, then importing the comp into Premiere Pro as a Dynamic Link, the New After Effects Composition command completes all those steps for you. Now you just step over to After Effects and make the title.

>Hopefully, the appropriate team(s) will take the time to better understand this function and rectify these shortcomings sooner rather than later.

Yes! We work constantly to make our products work better. I know that sounds like marketing hogwash but it's absolutely true. And the most important part of making them better is to find out how you want them to work. If you have specific suggestions about improvements you'd like to see, please fill out the Feature Request form. Submit early, submit often. There's no penalty for pestering us via that form. We want your feedback!!!
                                        • 17. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                          Level 1
                                          >If I have a dynamic link already (that I am pasting to) or if I import through dynamic link it doesnt matter. Either way shows the same behavior.

>I want two different dynamic links utilizing the same clip. One DL After Effects project has a clip with slow motion applied. Another DL After Effects project has the "SAME" pasted clip with a black and white effect applied. So far so good. Now I want to go back to the one with black and white and give a curve adjustment. I save the project and then close. Once I come back to the Premiere project to do some more work "BOTH" DL's are Black and White with the curve Adjustment. The first DL with the Slow motion applied has changed to the Black and White Curve adjustment. It won't let me make different adjustments without effecting each other. Even though they are to different DL's with different After Effects project names.

Any word on this situation?
                                          • 18. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                            craulmedia Level 1
                                            >Yes! We work constantly to make our products work better. I know that sounds like marketing hogwash but it's absolutely true.

I think that most of us "users" truly believe in what adobe people said in the first wave as "Dear Adobe" and all the Responses in the Blogs frome Adobe Workers came up. We also believe that you want to create high-end software making our workflows easier and beeing able to pull out more time for the creative part of the work.

but
                                            >If you have specific suggestions about improvements you'd like to see, please fill out the Feature Request form. Submit early, submit often. There's no penalty for pestering us via that form. We want your feedback!!!

Trace Back older wish lists from the last couple of years and sum up all the request that have been added already a hundred times or more which were not present in the last two versions of Ae or other important Adobe Software nor in the latest releases. I do not even count my hopeless request i´ve added via the web form since late 2003.

Of course, in the last couple of years 3rd Party plugins, scripts, additional software for Ae nearly have crossed the record mark.
                                            Some came out as a really rock solid plugin i can still use for years, some came out just because Ae lacked in this or that particular functionality over multiple version changes - what about that latest example: "Fresh Curves" from Frischluft.com !!! Spend $69 and Curves in Ae make now absolutely sense.

I`m asking myself why for petes sake do i buy Particular if i have a particle system in Ae by Default? Because its powerful.

Why do i have to buy Zaxwerks stuff if i just want to extrude my text or other objects a little?
                                            Or even using workarounds like Maltaannons free "shape extruder" (respect to this man) but sadly still not having the benefits of full 3D abilities.

personally i´m really tired spending money over and over again for plugins just to reach a little more of functionality that Ae is not giving me for any reason.

I don´t really like the idea carrying all my plugins and scripts from one workspace to another maybe administrated seat where you can´t install or run anything else except the application itself.
                                            Upgrading plugins, troubleshooting other projects that others hand out to me, etc., that all is not the top of the peak. I really start talking if it comes to clean installing an editing system with all apps which takes me a day and a half IF everything runs smoothly.

on top of all that: if you run a NON-US Adobe Suite you pay nearly double of the price for the Suite.

i´m not talking about that software development is a walk in the park, but just think a little about the older requests that still weight a LOT to most of us.

sometimes it´s hard for me to write the right things in the the right manner because english is not my native language.

however. good luck and good night.
                                            • 19. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                              fuaho Level 1
                                              @Tim Kurkoski:

Again, Thank you for your responses.

I must say I learned more about Dynamic Link from your two extremely helpful posts here than from anything in the documentation.

I don't know who should get the wishlist request since DL involves so many applications, but I'd like to suggest that there be specific DL documentation made available that goes into depth using examples such as you gave. There are numerous other questions without answers at this time such as saving order, exiting, crash recovery, etc., that are not addressed anywhere.

Unfortunately, most of us out here are paid to produce, not experiment on the client's time, so any further assistance by better documentation would be very useful.

TIA,
                                              • 20. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                I used dynamic link to export a premiere timeline with chapter markers to encore. When I make changes in the premiere project and then reopen the encore project, those changes don't seem to be reflected.

If it is a "dynamic link" i would expect it to be updated. Is there any action that needs to be taken to force encore to update the link?
                                                • 21. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Markers are different in that they are duplicated in each app. Since you might want to edit them in each app. Encore has a reload markers from source command that will do what you want.

Dave
                                                  • 22. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                    Level 1
                                                    "Encore has a reload markers from source command that will do what you want."

I didn't know that! I've had problems with chapter markers in Encore from DL'ed PPro projects...that really helps! You never know what you'll learn about in any of the forums!
                                                    • 23. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                      Level 1
                                                      I just got off the phone with Adobe support.

They had told me that I needed to delete the Encore preferences and clean the media database to get my dynamic link from Premiere to Encore to work. This did not work so i called them back.

They now say that in order for updates to dynamic links to be posted, the program that uses the link needs to be open when you make the change in the program that is the source of the link -- i.e., Encore needs to be open when you make the change to the Premiere project or the link will be broken and never again updated.

I certainly did not understand this from the documentation and it is certainly not very user-friendly, particularly when dynamic links could end up involving 3-4 programs from the creative suite.

They say this is not a bug. If it isn't a bug, it's a big limitation that ought to be documented more conspicuously. One can spend hours editing in a program using dynamically linked content only to find that you have to start over because the "dynamic link" is forever frozen.

Is this a bug? Is it a limitation? Is it documented?
                                                      • 24. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                        Level 1
                                                        Folks from Adobe who monitor this forum... can you please help clarify?
                                                        • 25. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                          Level 1
                                                          Michael - I've use DL with Encore and PPro, and I've made changes to the PPro timelines without Encore open, only to find the changes reflected in Encore when I open it (and PPro closed). Is that what you're refering to?
                                                          • 26. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Yes, that is the situation I am referring to. I just found an article in the Knowledgebase that appears to identify the solution:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=332431&sliceId=2

It's article #332431, solution #3. It says that if you've transcoded the dynamically linked clip(s) in Encore, they are no longer updated. So, when one hits Build to burn a DVD, the transcoding of the clips breaks the link.

To restore/refresh the link , one needs to right click on the asseta(s) in the project window and select "Revert to Original". This solves the problem.

Certainly not intuitively obvious.
                                                            • 27. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                              Level 1
                                                              Right - I knew that. To me that makes sense - Encore uses those previously transcoded files, but it would be nice if Encore could sense a change to the PPro project.
                                                              • 28. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                                Averdahl Level 3
                                                                >I used dynamic link to export a premiere timeline with chapter markers to encore. When I make changes in the premiere project and then reopen the encore project, those changes don't seem to be reflected.

Michael, all you have to do is to right click in the Timeline in Encore and choose Update Markers from Source (replace all markers).

EDIT:
                                                                Oops, i missed that you had already Transcoded the material...

/Roger
                                                                • 29. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                                  editron

I have problems with Encore not showing the chapter markers placed in Pr then sent via DL to Encore.

The markers all have names and are all proper Encore markers. They just don't appear and it is driving me nuts. I have to redo 20+ chapters in Encore yet again. I am using Snow Leopard on Mac.

Maybe I need to trash prefs or something to get this to work. Any ideas?

Mark

• 30. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I have problems with Encore not showing the chapter markers placed in Pr then sent via DL to Encore.

The markers all have names and are all proper Encore markers. They just don't appear and it is driving me nuts. I have to redo 20+ chapters in Encore yet again. I am using Snow Leopard on Mac.

Maybe I need to trash prefs or something to get this to work. Any ideas?

editron,

You've asked this question on the After Effects forum. You will get better results for your Premiere Pro and Encore question on the Premiere Pro forum or Encore forum.

• 31. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                                      joshtownsend Level 2

Just wasted my time reading this thread. Sounds like someone who is not smart enough to understand a proffesional program doing the equivilant of yelling at his wife and kids because he had a bad day at work.

I use dynamic link stuff all the time. Sure I don't understand why you can't bring a whole Premiere Pro comp into AE and have all the AE files in the Prpro. project carry over in AE. It's a bit of a pain if I want to finish the whole project in AE and happen to have a few titles or graphics I did in AE already not carry over (to get the timing correct or hell just be creative in the cut).

Also don't understand why it takes so much longer to render a dynamic linked clip in Premiere when it's only a levels effect or simple mask.

But over all it works good enough and does let you be more creative while cutting. Just hope CS5 brings us new surprises when it comes to DL.

• 32. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                                        David Cabestany Level 1

Hey Dave, just found this thread, here's an issue I'm encountering with DL in CS6:

Whenever I save something on AE CS6, the correspondent clip in PPRO CS6 takes an unusual amount of time to conform, I can scroll across the timeline while conforming but if I try to change the position of a clip then PPRP becomes unresponsive, I get the beach ball.

A few seconds after, the clip is ready to be rendered.

• 33. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                                          Lufthansen

Whether it is in Premiere Pro or in Lightroom, the Dynamic Link Media Server keeps crashing. I have reinstalled, changed permissions, repairedd installations etc etc. to no avail. The help/solutions offered from Adobe are non-existent. I have had this problem on several PC computers over the years, with different versions of both OS and Adobe software (I started with CS, and have bought all versions since - because I need it for my job).

The trend seems to be that software developers like Adobe are letting their customers do all the troubleshooting and beta testing. All while shelling out big money for either stand-alone licenses or subscription services.

Since there are so many customers (over several years) that have had severe issues with the dynamic link media server, it is clear that the problem is a big one. It is also clear that Adobe are washing their hands and not dealing with the problem seriously.

For all the money that I have paid for the software, and for all the money other customers have paid, I demand that you take this problem seriously. The dynamic link media server problem have caused corrupted video files on my computer. It have made me miss deadlines. It has nearly have me throw the computer out the window. In a stressful photo journalist/videographer workflow, I can NOT sit and wait for hours to see whether the import in Lightroom is successful or not. The beta testing is your responsibility, not mine.

• 34. Re: Dynamic Link is a LIE!
                                                                            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Most of the people that I know, including myself, have no problems using dynamic link when it is used properly. There are quite a few users that have problems and some of them are OS, version, and system compatibility issues. With the literally billions of combinations of systems, drivers,  and users that does not surprise me that some folks cannot get software to work reliably on their machines. That happens because there are not billions of beta testers and billions of hours available to track down and diagnose every bug.

Best opportunity for a solution is a detailed, down to the last decimal point and last click of the mouse bug report.