5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2008 11:08 PM by Mylenium

imported footage pixelization issues - needing a resolve

bS_nickname Level 1
      I have several imported QT files - most of then CG. I am getting a lot of pixelization when viewing or rendering out. I have tried to change the settings for interpret footage - upper/lower - and frame blending - etc.. still no joy. the files look great when played outside of AE.

The files are all greater then D1, but vary in FPS

I need to output to Full D1

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brendan
        • 1. Re: imported footage pixelization issues - needing a resolve
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Be aware, that if those files are MPEG 4/H.264 compressed, MediaCore will handle them, which may explain your problems, given that they are at non-standard resolutions and framerates. To circumvent MC handling, import them as GIF/ Legacy Quicktime by manualyy specifying this as the source format. And of course make sure you are not using OpenGL anywhere or PAR correction and incorrect color profiles are messing up your previews....

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: imported footage pixelization issues - needing a resolve
            bS_nickname Level 1
            Thanks Mylenium,

I suspect your right. But how do I manually specify the source format? When I import I don't see any options.

Thanks again for your help as I am trying to meet a deadline.

Brendan
            • 3. Re: imported footage pixelization issues - needing a resolve
              In the dropdown on the import dialog. It defaults to "All files", but you can set it to "GIF, generic Quicktime".

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: imported footage pixelization issues - needing a resolve
                bS_nickname Level 1
                Thanks again - I did just that and it looks a bit better, but I'm still seeing a lot of pixeliztion/artifacts on both the preview and render.

There has got to be something I am missing here -

Thanks again and if you can think of anything, please let me know - I am now really worried about this project as the deadline approaches.

Brendan
                • 5. Re: imported footage pixelization issues - needing a resolve
                  I have no clue, honestly. If you can provide a link to one of the offending source files I could check it out. The only other thing that comes to mind that you may have an issue in QT itself. As a first, you should check whether you are actually viewing at full res in QT. Next, I would open movie in QT Pro and check the "Movie Properties" to see, if the "High Quality" setting on the video stream's "Visual Settings" has any effect. Likewise, there may be one of the transparency settings at work. Changing those settings could already resolve your problems. Just make sure to save the modified movies as a copy or AE may refuse entirely to load your modified originals. On the hardware end, you could disable the accelerated playback in your QT control panel and resort to the conventional GDI mode. If neither of this has any noticeable effect on quality, then the smart thing would be to simply use QT Pro to convert the stuff to a different CoDec like Animation or PNG to avoid these issues.

Mylenium