4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2009 5:35 AM by Mylenium

After Effects CS4 ram preview slow start-up (8 core)

Hi,

I have an Intel 8core PC and I'm working with After Effects CS4 on Windows Vista 64 bit.

When I press on ram preview the CPU usage has a slow startup till 100%.. Is this common or? Cause it takes a while till it really uses the CPU of 100%.. so it has a delay..

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: After Effects CS4 ram preview slow start-up (8 core)
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          Perhaps this note from the "Memory & Multiprocessing preferences" section of After Effects Help is relevant:

"Important: You may experience a small delay when the background processes start for the first time. A message in the Info panel indicates when the background processes are initializing. Deselecting Render Multiple Frame Simultaneously stops the background processes; reselecting the option causes the same delay when you close the dialog box."
          • 2. Re: After Effects CS4 ram preview slow start-up (8 core)
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Also be aware, that the perceived speed is dependent on the type of project - if the program needs to load a lot of frames from footage, it will be slower than a project that only has graphical elements or internally generated items like text and shape layers.

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: After Effects CS4 ram preview slow start-up (8 core)
              tonygtr
              I have a similar system. 2 AMD Opeteron 2.3gb quad processors, 8 gb of RAM, Quadro FX5600 video card. I had called Adobe support about how slow my new system was compared to the old system that had a dual core Intel with CS3 and Win XP Pro. Here is the problem:

On the new 64 bit architecture, After Effects CS4 is still a 32 bit program but takes advantage of renders with the 64 bit OS by running After Effects on each core. If you only have 8gb of Ram with 8 cores( like I do), After Effects is loading on to each core. This leaves 1 GB per core to run the OS and After Effects. He told me what I need to do is (1) eliminate half the cores or (2) load the system up with 32 Gb of Ram. I'm currently order more Ram memory but have disabled all but 2 cores in msconfig advanced tab. It working much better at this point. Still slow but not dragging. I've order another 16 Gb of ram and will replace the other old 8 gb of ram with another 16gb at a later date.
              • 4. Re: After Effects CS4 ram preview slow start-up (8 core)
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                Thanks, Tony. This info will sure come in handy for some users, though I'm not certain, though, whether messing with the BIOS, msconfig and the device manager is everyone's kettle of fish, so it's still a last resort kind of thing. ;-) Anyway, thanks again.

Mylenium