12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2008 7:16 AM by (Steve_Patterson)

Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere

I've recently bought a new PC and installed the Creative Suite on it. It's running windows XP with 3GB ram, and a GeForce 9600 GT graphics card.
      But the interface bugs up really badly all the time. Namely in After Effects and Premiere. I'm having no issues with Photoshop.
      Creative Suite ran fine on my old computer, which also ran XP.s

The menus disappear, (menuitems re appearing when i hover the mouse over them), windows within after effects blending with the main window, and all the docks being jumpy (sort of hopping out of place and back in a split second)
      I've also had my entire computer restart suddenly when trying to capture video.
      It makes it pretty impossible to work, as when a menu or something bugs up, it sticks there, covering other buttons and just generally messing up the entire interface.

I'm suspecting this is related to the graphics card. The settings indicate everything working however (with the OpenGL settings), and performance is generally fast, so the OpenGL must be working to get that performance.

any suggestions on how to fix this? I can't seem to find anyone else having the same problem!

many thanks in advance!
      Christopher OShea
        • 1. Re: Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          You can contact Adobe Technical Support for help with issues like this. You are entitled to a certain number of free calls for "installation issues, basic usage questions, and troubleshooting unexpected behavior for documented features".

For information on what free technical support you're entitled to, see this page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/programs/customer/gss.html
          • 2. Re: Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            What's your screen resolution and how much RAM does the graphics card have? The UI uses some acceleration functions, but they are a different thing from OpenGL. Also: Did you turn off the visual fancies (transparent windows, drop shadows) in Windows' display settings or are you using things like Window Blinds to change the visual appearance?

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere
              (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
              Also, are you using a recent (most recent) version of your display driver?
              • 4. Re: Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere
                Level 1
                Thanks for all the great response!
                My graphics card has 512 MB of vram. with 200 mb allocated to After Effects (it was the default, can it be safely increased?)
                I'm running 2560 x 1024 (two 19 inch monitors in horizontal span mode). but deactivating a screen and restarting doesn't make a difference (1280x1024).
                as for visual styles, I only had the default windows xp theme, but switching the the classic windows 2000/98 look didn't make a difference, even after rebooting.
                I'll contact technical support right away! But any suggestions anyone might have are still much appreciated!

Once again thanks for the replies!
                Christopher OShea

EDIT: forgot to add, about video drivers, I'm using the latest yes. I've also tried the one just before the latest. And I'll have till tommorow with technical support since they're closed now, bummer ):

Another edit: heres something interesting, I turned hardware acceleration in display settings off completely. This fixed the problem.
                The only problem is, now I have no hardware acceleration at all, giving me close to no performance at all in pretty much anything. Obviously After Effects doesn't run well like this.

But at least this makes it almost certain that the problem is related to the graphics card.
                • 5. Re: Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere
                  Hey Christopher. As Mylenium hinted at earlier, have you tried disabling the User Interface Hardware acceleration in the After Effects Preferences? It is different from the OpenGL enabling/disabling preference.
                  • 6. Re: Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere
                    Level 1
                    Yep, I've tried that! Both on and off, but it made no difference.
                    The problem stops when i deactivate DirectX in the hardware acceleration (can't go higher than the 3rd stage on the slider without the problem coming back). This puzzles me tho, as I thought After Effects wasn't related to DirectX at all?

I tried the new beta drivers from nVidia, 180.84. This however caused my system to lock up with mouse freeze on the splash screen of after effects (while "cleaning up" the opengl dll).
                    I managed to remove the driver, and I'm currently working with after effects with hardware acceleration almost turned off. This stops the problem, but performance is extremely slow.

I really have no idea as to what could be causing this, this PC is brand new, and all my drivers are up to date! But I am pretty sure now that it is related to directx somehow.
                    • 7. Re: Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere
                      Are you using version 9.0.c (I'm not sure if that's the latest version 9) redistributable version of directX?
                      • 8. Re: Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere
                        Level 1
                        Jep that's the one I've got! Redownloaded it today too :/
                        Been trying all day to fix this.. I'm getting pretty desperate as i need to have a project done by the end of the week!
                        • 9. Re: Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere
                          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                          Well, DirectX conatins DirectDraw, which is the part that is used to accelerate Window's own UI elements and parts of AE's interface... This seems a rather severe conflict, but I'm running out of ideas how to overcome it short of buying a different graphics card. :-| Could you try to produce some system diagnostics files and post the mfor study? If we had the gewneric System Information (Start Menu --> Utilities --> System Information), a dump of DXDiag and an XML fiel from this tool http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html, we could do a comparison that might provide some clues.

Mylenium
                          • 10. Re: Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere
                            Level 1
                            Thank you! I've downloaded the tool. I tried the OpenGL tests, and it passed all of them. Strangely enough it dropped in FPS from over 2000 to 114 fps in the OpenGL 2.1 test? also apparently some functions are unsupported in OpenGL 3 (I didn't even know there was a version 3?)
                            I've upload the XML report here:
                            http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.do?get=a55b6a756802138c4e266147a25b0481

DXDiag reported no problems either, and I passed both the Direct3D and the DirectDraw tests. I've uploaded the text file with all the data here:
                            http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.do?get=53808cb07a3997735e1f10dd92e6df03

And finally, the NFO file from the System Information tool:
                            http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.do?get=714aa4a922cf3ca9d77d8dca4740f1ab

And just real quick, here are my system specs:
                            2.4 GHz intel core 2 quad Q8200
                            4 GB total ram installed.
                            nVidia GeForce 9600 GT
                            1000 GB WD Harddrive.
                            Windows XP service pack 3

Thank you very, very much for your help! I hope you are able to figure something out from the files!

And Merry Christmas !!
                            Christopher OShea
                            • 11. Re: Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere
                              Level 1
                              Thank you so much for the help everyone, but the problem has been resolved!!
                              I got a tip on another forum and found this topic:
                              http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c065757
                              I found it hard to believe my mouse driver could be causing all this mess, but as a matter of fact I did have IntelliPoint installed.
                              And the new, 6.10 drivers for IntelliPoint did have a fairly advanced function on the middle mouse button that reminded me a lot of the reveal function on a mac. I thought that would definitely have to interact with the other windows.

So I removed the new drivers and its registry entries, and guess what, no more problems! It works like a charm now! I've also succesfully installed the older, 5.5 drivers for my mouse (so the scrolling isn't useless), which I had on my old computer with which I was using the same mouse.

So apparently the entire issue is with the 6.10 IntelliPoint drivers, and apparently it causes problems in more applications than just the creative suite.

Well I gotta say thank you so much to all of you for helping me fix this, and I hope anyone else with this issue finds this.

Merry, merry christmas!!
                              Christopher O'Shea
                              • 12. Re: Bad interface problem with After effects and Premiere
                                Ahhh...the cursed ItelliPoint drivers. They have caused all kinds of problems through the years. Thanks for posting your solution, and Happy Holidays to you as well.
                                :)