6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2008 5:29 AM by (Vladimir_Cassel)

how can i find out if i have a bad codec affecting after effects?

hi all, i'm having all kinds of problems with after effects cs4. the current problem i'm having is i'll be working on a project, it starts to slow down and become unresponsive, i try to save but then it crashes and everything i've done is lost. opengl is off but i don't think that's the problem because opengl isn't affecting any of my other programs like cinema 4d and i even tried taking out the opengl from the plugins folder but i was still getting opengl error messages with certain effects like the rotoscoping effect. i was wondering if maybe this might be a codec problem since i heard that ae loads codecs at start. how can i find out if a corrupted codec is affecting my after effects?

after effects cs4
      amd turion 64 x2 mobile technology tl-62 2.10 ghz
      3 gb ram
      windows vista 32

geforce go 6150
      total graphics memory: 1343 mb
      dedicated graphics memory: 128 mb
      system video memory: 0 mb
      shared system memory: 1215 mb

i'm pretty much desperate to get this working as it's essential to my work flow and i can't afford to get a new computer right now (i should have bought a mac, now i know) so i'll try anything if you have any suggestions. thanks!
        • 1. Re: how can i find out if i have a bad codec affecting after effects?
          Level 1
          here's some info on my after effects preferences. like i said i'm desperate to get this working so i want to provide any relevant info.

adaptive resolution: 1/4

opengl is off but if it was on texture memory would be set to 200 mb with both enable adaptive resolution and accelerate effects ticked on

enable disk cache: ticked on with maximum disk cache size set to 2 gb

under memory and multiprocessing: installed cpus - 2
          installed ram - 2.87 gb
          total after effects memory usage - 1.2 gb
          ram to leave for other apps - .5 gb
          render multiple frames - off
          prevent dll address space frag - off
          • 2. Re: how can i find out if i have a bad codec affecting after effects?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            >how can i find out if a corrupted codec is affecting my after effects?

You remove them all! ;-) I think you are going about this the wrong way.

a)If you ever installed any third-party CoDecs manually, they will be listed in the "Add or Remove Programs" section or have an uninstaller.

b)If those CoDecs were auto-installed e.g. via a web-browser, they will leave traces in the extension lists or even appear as separate entries somewhere as well.

c) If the CoDecs were part of a program, then by all rights, you really should know which programs those are and know how to remove them.

Failing that, simply uninstall Quicktime completely. Reinstall it from scratch. Likewise, manually download a full install of Windows Media Player and reinstall it using the "Repair" option. Everything else is pure specualtion - AE may scan your CoDecs on startup, but if you never import any footage using them, they will not be initialized and not cause trouble.

And honestly: That Mac talk is not worth a dime. Final Cut Pro alone comes with 30 or so extra CoDecs, many of which have been known to be just as troublesome to use with Adobe products and you can encounter the same situation easily any time...

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: how can i find out if i have a bad codec affecting after effects?
              Level 1
              yikes, i guess this isn't a codec problem then since i wasn't dealing with footage yet. i was just moving a circle effects across the screen, copied a few of them and freeze framed those. usually i can bang my head against a problem long enough until i can find some strange fix and everything is fine but i really have to say i'm at a loss as to why after effects just isn't working for me. it's so frustrating. at the risk of sounding like a whiner and complainer do you have any other suggestions?
              • 4. Re: how can i find out if i have a bad codec affecting after effects?
                Level 1
                i tried opening up my windows task manager when starting after effects to see if anything started with it. i tracked down processcoordinatorserver.exe opening as a process with after effects. i ended this process to see if anything would improve and it did. the interface was responsive without freezes for a longer period of time. i was able to import and save. but then eventually, this too failed as the interface started lagging and then i tried saving again and it crashed. any idea on this process and why it might have improved my ae session when it was disabled?
                • 5. Re: how can i find out if i have a bad codec affecting after effects?
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                  Process coordination server is used by DynamicLink and multiprocessor rendering. If you don't use it, it is save to disable (which should also be doable by manually specifying it as a service). Still, since after a while you are still getting those issues, I would assume that you have a configuration problem somewhere. Your memory is clogging up, which in combination with your shared memory architecture makes an evil thing, even if your system otherwise is usable for AE (if only barely). Maybe you could inquire on a hardware related forum whether some knobs can be tweaked in the BIOS or some special updated driver would improve matters...

Mylenium
                  • 6. Re: how can i find out if i have a bad codec affecting after effects?
                    Level 1
                    thanks, that sounds closer to where i'm at now. i checked around some knowledge base stuff on the adobe site for problems with the interface freezing and crashing and tried each thing step by step to see what was causing the problem. i tracked it down to my video driver settings and switched it from "best performance" to "let the application decide". now, after a while i still get the interface slow down which means that if i try to do things like save or import it freezes and crashes but instead of doing this quitely i get a few warnings now before this happens. here's what i get: "after effects error: unable to allocate space for a 1000 x 800 image buffer. you may be experiencing fragmentation. in the memory & multiprocessing preferences dialog box, try increasing the ram to leave for other applications, and selecting the enable disk cache option in the media & disk cache panel."

now, i know my disk cache option is enabled to 2 gb, i have "prevent dll address space fragmentation" ticked on, and "ram to leave for other applications: " set to .5 gb. do you think changing these settings will help? if so, can you suggest setting to try here. thanks it would go very appreciated!