5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2009 1:07 AM by (redmike)

mask effect in after effect?

How to create mask effect in after effect? For example if in the scene, I have many trees and a figure and basically I wanna the figure to be hidden behind the tree, how to apply the mask on the tree?
        • 1. Re: mask effect in after effect?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          I don't quite follow. Your use of terminology is confusing. What you wanna do is use a matte, not a mask. I'm just not clear if you are looking for a "make magic" button or if you have any idea about how to create such a matte, i.e. extract the treetrunk to obscure your person. Please provide more details what exactly is giving you problems.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: mask effect in after effect?
            Level 1
            ngquochung86@adobeforums.com wrote:
            > How to create mask effect in after effect? For example if in the scene, I have many trees and a figure and basically I wanna the figure to be hidden behind the tree, how to apply the mask on the tree?

If your wanting to make an opening for a layer below to show through a
            specific place in a layer above, a good place to start is in the Livedocs
            http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/help.html?content=WS0882417C-1EAD-4be6-BD BA-7340B9250E5D.html

And, as a side note, I confess I often flip flop the terms myself. Might
            someone give an 'in a nutshell' description of the key differences
            between the terms?
            • 3. Re: mask effect in after effect?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8
              > I confess I often flip flop the terms myself. Might
              > someone give an 'in a nutshell' description of the key
              > differences between the terms?

A matte is a layer that is used to define the transparency of another layer.

A mask is a path on a layer that is (usually) used to define the transparency of that layer.

I recommend reading through the first couple of sections in the "Alpha channels, masks, and mattes" section of After Effects Help on the Web.
              • 4. Re: mask effect in after effect?
                Level 1
                Todd Kopriva wrote:
                >
                > I confess I often flip flop the terms myself. Might someone give an 'in
                > a nutshell' description of the key differences between the terms?
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > A matte is a layer that is used to define the transparency of another layer.
                >
                > A mask is a path on a layer that is (usually) used to define the transparency of that layer.
                >
                > I recommend reading through the first couple of sections in the "Alpha channels, masks, and mattes" section of After Effects Help on the Web.

Thank you, quite clear.
                • 5. Re: mask effect in after effect?
                  Level 1
                  Simple answer. Select the layer (tree or guy whichever you prefer). Grab your pen tool in the top left of the screen. Click and draw your mask. Depending on which layer you use, go into the layers panel, open your layer, effects > masks and select 'add' or 'subtract' for the desired effect. It gets way more complicated than that and you do need to watch some tutorials or get a book. But that is how you add a mask.