3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2008 4:13 AM by (Tobias_Lohse)

In need of memory?

I'm having a bit of trouble exporting a movie from AE. My final output uses a normal DV compression (720x576). But in my project I'm using a comp that's like 6000x4000 pixels. When trying to make a movie I get the following error message:
      "After Effects error: unable to allocate space for a 6000 x 4800 image buffer.
      You may be experiencing fragmentation. In the Memory & Cache Preferences dialog box, try decreasing the Maximum RAM Cache Size value and selecting the Enable Disk Cache Option, increasing Maximum Memory Usage, or both.
      (7 :: 39)"
      I've tried doing just the above, but still the same message.
      I'm using a Mac with 2 x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon and 6 GB RAM

Is there anything I can do???

/Tobias
        • 1. Re: In need of memory?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          Can I ask the reason you're rendering at such high resolution?
          • 2. Re: In need of memory?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Surely a map or panorama or something... In any case: you should try to structure the project by pre-composing. Parts of your big comp may only be in view for short periods at a time, so AE will not load them if they are outside the comp window. Also, if in a pre-comp, AE would render the whole map only once and buffer it, if you do all pans and such in the parent comp. Lastly, try to work with the disk cache. The error may also come up with consecutive small nested comps and if they are buffered on the disk, overall behavior would be better... If you provide more details, we certainly can give more tips.

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: In need of memory?
              Level 1
              Thanx for your answer! Some details... The workflow i the following:
              I have a comp that's 6000x4000. In here there's photos and an animated 3D stroke, This comp is nested into a 720x576 comp where I animate the camera. And this last comp is nested into another 720x576 comp for some colour correction...