8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 8:17 AM by bogiesan-gyyClL

Mylenium's plea for common sense on forums

Todd_Kopriva Level 8
      Mylenium just made a great post on his blog.

Here's my response.
        • 1. Re: Mylenium's plea for common sense on forums
          XxMontyxX Level 1
          I totally hear you Todd. But the problem is that questioners in a forum are typically and by definition clueless. The ones who know what's going on and can research the questions properly are most likely not asking shot-in-the-dark questions on a forum. I enjoy answering questions, whether or not my answers are helpful, because many folks answered my shot-in-the-dark questions back in the day. The web has been the single best resource for learning about AE, better than any book, teacher or senior artist I've worked with. So while I feel your pain, unfortunately, it's not likely to change.
          • 2. Re: Mylenium's plea for common sense on forums
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8
            > So while I feel your pain, unfortunately, it's not likely to change.

I'll keep helping one way or the other, but it doesn't hurt to occasionally point the way for people to help us to help them (and for people to help themselves) better.
            • 3. Re: Mylenium's plea for common sense on forums
              ChrisPoisson Level 1
              In a world where gaming has evolved to the point that millions of young people are "hooked" for 16 hours a day and more, not to mention cellphones that will do everything but cook your lunch, is it any wonder all these folks are looking for quick solutions?

I completely agree with this thread, but would add a reminder, that effects for effects sake are meaningless, no matter how cool. We should have a REASON to make something happen a certain way. I see so many "really cool" reel that are virtually useless as far as moving forward and idea or story.

My two cents.
              • 4. Re: Mylenium's plea for common sense on forums
                Joey Morelli Level 1
                This topic is as old as the hills and just as relevant.

I agree with you Todd...to a point. I have been a Mod on the LAFCPUG for years I have always been an advocate for people posting at least the following:

* The issue details
                * The complete hardware set-up
                * The complete software set-up
                * all settings related to the issue (project / comp / codec / render queue / etc)

There's nothing worse than reading a post that says "HELP! My screen is black - how do I fix this???" and that's it. Then go through hours of trying to draw out the configuration / settings.

People will ALWAYS post before cracking a manual, hitting GOOGLE, doing a forum search, or doing some tests. That's just how it is and how it always will be. Laziness for some is genetic and cannot be reversed. I tend to guide those folks to do their own work by answering their questions with a question. There is no excuse for not doing simple searches first.

Some of us were there...stuck. The level of frustration with a specific issue causes a mental block that prevents rational thinking = therefore help is needed immediately. We can't all be mylenium. Some folks have A.D.D. and are not book smart or rational thinkers. They do best in a "lab atmosphere" which is having an instructor talk right at them and then work through the issue.

I don't know where I would have been 10 years ago when I discovered the forums. Bottom line: if you are annoyed with a post - don't answer it.

Personal opinion: This Adobe.com forum is the worst of the forums I frequent in terms of functionality. There should REALLY be a "Private Message" option on this forum and the ability to edit posts should not be restricted to only a few minutes after posting.
                • 5. Re: Mylenium's plea for common sense on forums
                  Level 1
                  silversurfer@adobeforums.com wrote:
                  > This topic is as old as the hills and just as relevant.
                  >
                  > I agree with you Todd...to a point. I have been a Mod on the LAFCPUG
                  > for years I have always been an advocate for people posting at least
                  > the following:
                  >
                  > * The issue details * The complete hardware set-up * The complete
                  > software set-up * all settings related to the issue (project / comp /
                  > codec / render queue / etc)
                  >
                  > There's nothing worse than reading a post that says "HELP! My screen
                  > is black - how do I fix this???" and that's it. Then go through hours
                  > of trying to draw out the configuration / settings.
                  >
                  > People will ALWAYS post before cracking a manual, hitting GOOGLE,
                  > doing a forum search, or doing some tests. That's just how it is and
                  > how it always will be. Laziness for some is genetic and cannot be
                  > reversed. I tend to guide those folks to do their own work by
                  > answering their questions with a question. There is no excuse for not
                  > doing simple searches first.

Although, on the plus side, people like me, who have got beyond the
                  beginner stage, but don't use the application daily, frequently benefit
                  from even some of the beginner questions. However I do agree with at
                  least doing a basic Google for the problem. That said though, I've found
                  that many people really don't know how to search, they enter a queries
                  that are far too generic and end up just as generic responses.
                  • 6. Re: Mylenium's plea for common sense on forums
                    craulmedia Level 1
                    posting at least the following:

# The issue details
                    # The complete hardware set-up
                    # The complete software set-up
                    # all settings related to the issue (project / comp / codec / render queue / etc)

if adobe forums would be "upgraded" a little instead of having such an "old school" forum style - which i really don't like - we could use a members profile for reading such information like mentioned above insteas of posting it every time a problem occurs.

thats what i think is a clear forum style
                    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/index.cfm?NoCookies=Yes
                    • 7. Re: Mylenium's plea for common sense on forums
                      craulmedia Level 1
                      yeah cookies!
                      to everyone: if you don´t like cookies, adobe does, otherwise their content is not viewable. so much for your privacy.
                      • 8. Re: Mylenium's plea for common sense on forums
                        bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                        > # The issue details
                        > # The complete hardware set-up
                        > # The complete software set-up
                        > # all settings related to the issue (project / comp / codec / render queue / etc)

I understand Silversurfer's request for this information but I disagree that it is fundamental. "AE version" would be nice but most inquiries about effects and production planning can be handled without this list.
                        When we are asked to help debug seriously debilitating issues that appear to be bugs are deeply linked system conflicts, yes, 'twould be nice to have this stuff early.

I am a level four at apple.com's FCP forum and I'd estimate 90% of our posts are handled without knowing anything about the OP's rig. We ask if it's necessary and, I'll freely admit, I am impatient with folks who don't understand how necessary this information can be.

bogiesan