18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2009 3:24 PM by (Fran_Baker)

Render Preview Error - Help?

Hi, I keep getting this error:

Error reads:
      "After Effects error: unable to allocate space for a 2848 x 2136 image buffer.
      You may be experiencing fragmentation. In the Memory and Multiprocessing Preferences dialogue box, try increasing RAM to leave for other applications, and selecting the Enable Disk Cache option in the Media & Disk Cache panel"

This is in AECS4 and I've tried to do what it says but I'm not sure what to change it to, and although I've already tried changing things as suggested by the error message - it still comes up after doing a ram preview render of about 6 seconds.

I'm trying for 11 seconds but what I get is 6 seconds and this error message - after which I have to close AE down and start it up again.

I have intel R core 2 quad CPU
      Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
      2.40GHz, 3.00GB of RAM
      Running WinXP Media Centre Edition version 2002, Service pack 3
      on a PC called "Monster"

I've also checked the size of the images and reduced the size of the biggest, but I'm still getting the error message, getting it both on RAM Preview and on Make Movie in the render queue.
        • 1. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          You can contact Adobe Technical Support for help with issues like this. You are entitled to a certain number of free calls for "installation issues, basic usage questions, and troubleshooting unexpected behavior for documented features".

For information on what free technical support you're entitled to, see this page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/programs/customer/gss.html
          • 2. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            What effects are you using? Some blurs and glows will dilate the pixels way beyond the actually visible pixels for internal processing, in turn expanding the buffer beyond what your system may be able to handle. For final rendering, you may wish to check the "secret prefs" and enable the "Purge every n frames" option...

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
              Level 1
              I found out how to cure it (okay my husband found it), what you do is you change the location for the disc cache to the desktop, and just doing that seems to fix it... weird.

We tried a number of things suggested in various places, from changing the location of the render to a different physical hard disc, changing the location of the disc cache to a different physical hard disc, changing both the render location and the disc cache location to the other hard disc... darned good job we had a second hard disc!

But all that worked was putting the disc cache on the desk top, really really odd!

Oh and we used that Secret Purge every 50 frames menu too, but it was definitely the cache on the desktop that fixed it.

When you get that error message you have to save the AE Project file and close AE and reopen it in order for any render to work at all.

The only effects I am using are a few images of cotton wool fog with mesh warp on them.
              • 4. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                Quite strange. This would point to permission or quota issues of some sort, so perhaps you can investigate this a bit more. Anyway, glad you could resolve it.

Mylenium
                • 5. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                  Level 1
                  I wish I could investigate it more but I'm now lost, as I have the error message repeatedly re-occurring, intermittantly.

Closing and re-opening AE will allow me to render about 6 seconds at a time, but sometimes not even that much.

I dunno what's going on...

Hopefully when the non trial package arrives today - if the courier can find me - I'll at last be able to ask Adobe for a real solution.

They won't even talk to you if you've only got the trial.
                  • 6. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                    craulmedia Level 1
                    b Quote: Fran Baker - 5:04am Jan 6, 09 PST
                    > I dunno what's going on...
                    Hopefully when the non trial package arrives today - if the courier can find me - I'll at last be able to ask Adobe for a real solution.
                    b They won't even talk to you if you've only got the trial.

yeh, yeh. that's hell kitchen.

but really asking: don't you think that anyone would buy a full license if the trial does not work?

i know that my machine is running 320 days over the top of the specs, i never open malicius or suspect mail, i dont't need BS antivirus software, i care for my machine, nobody except me touches my machine, not even my mother, "my precious" i will die for.
                    every single software installed - from high end to open source or vice versa runs smoothly, smoother as it can run...

i still would really ask myself: "am i doing the right thing, or is there any inexplicable power that sucks me in and spits me out to nowhere?
                    • 7. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                      Level 1
                      If anybody anywhere ever finds an answer to this error, please PLEASE
                      PuLEASE! Tell me.

Even with the full program bought and paid for, no one will talk to me about this.

Can no one help?
                      • 8. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                        craulmedia Level 1
                        >Even with the full program bought and paid for, no one will talk to me about this.

Adobe provides Free (Startup) Support if you have purchased a product. Use the advantage and Contact them.

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html
                        • 9. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                          Fran, could you provide a render log? Set the options in the Render Queue to "Plus per Frame Info" and then upload the file or copy&paste the last few lines before the render stops. this might help track things down. Also, since you are experiencing the issue regardless of the disk cache location, you should really look into the permission issue I was hinting at. As a minor right-click the disk and run a check. This should reveal any damage in the file system. Also perhaps try a defragmentation overnight. This may greatly improve matters.

Mylenium
                          • 10. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                            Level 1
                            Thomas Craul

I did! as soon as I registered the full prog I asked... nothing.

Mylenium

I'll try to do the log thing, will look at the render queue for "Plus per Frame Info".

"Also, since you are experiencing the issue regardless of the disk cache location, you should really look into the permission issue I was hinting at."

I would, if I knew what that meant.

I'm not a programmer so I haven't the faintest idea what "a permission issue" might be, or how to go about "looking into" it, if you would be kind enough to explain this a bit more I might have a chance - I'm desperate here!

I can't do a defrag overnight as I sleep in the room where the PC is - it would keep me awake, but I'll do what I can at other times...

You know I've seen that an awful lot of other people have had the same problem and yet I've seen a lot of different solutions - all of which I've tried, but all these different solutions seem to have fixed this same problem for different people - since no one comes back and says - "no, that didn't work, but this did," the threads just end on a solution - so why should different solutions fix the same problem? That just doesn't make any sense. And why haven't any of their solutions worked for me?

I think I'm loosing the will to live here....
                            • 11. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                              Level 1
                              Okay, I've done that "Plus per Frame Info" thing, now what do I do?

You wanted me to "copy&paste the last few lines before the render stops" only I can't find any log file anywhere - can you tell me how to find it?
                              • 12. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                                Level 1
                                Ah, I've found it - unfortunately those last few lines aren't saying anything different to what I've said all along, but here it is anyway:

0:00:37:11 (377): 14 Seconds
                                0:00:37:12 (378): 13 Seconds
                                0:00:37:13 (379): 13 Seconds
                                0:00:37:14 (380): 14 Seconds
                                0:00:37:15 (381): 13 Seconds
                                0:00:37:16 (382): 14 Seconds
                                0:00:37:17 (383): 13 Seconds
                                0:00:37:18 (384): 14 Seconds
                                0:00:37:19 (385): 13 Seconds
                                0:00:37:20 (386): 13 Seconds
                                0:00:37:21 (387): 14 Seconds
                                0:00:37:22 (388): 13 Seconds
                                0:00:37:23 (389): 14 Seconds
                                0:00:37:24 (390): 13 Seconds
                                0:00:38:00 (391): 13 Seconds
                                After Effects error: unable to allocate space for a 2918 x 2401 image buffer.
                                You may be experiencing fragmentation. In the Memory & Multiprocessing Preferences dialog box, try increasing the RAM to leave for other applications, and selecting the Enable Disk Cache option in the Media & Disk Cache panel. (7 :: 66)
                                08/01/2009 14:46:12: Finished composition Paving.

Total Time Elapsed: 1 Hr, 24 Min

Log closed on 08/01/2009 at 14:46:12
                                • 13. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                                  Level 1
                                  Um, just in case it helps here's the bit at the beginning of the log:

Adobe After Effects v9.0 (Windows) render log for project NoirGoodFogGoodMan9CS4.aep

Rendering started on 08/01/2009 at 13:21:31

08/01/2009 13:21:31: Starting composition Paving.

Render Settings: Best Settings
                                  Quality: Best
                                  Resolution: Full
                                  Size: 720 x 576
                                  Proxy Use: Use No Proxies
                                  Effects: Current Settings
                                  Disk Cache: Read Only
                                  Color Depth: Current Settings
                                  Frame Blending: On for Checked Layers
                                  Field Render: Off
                                  Pulldown: Off
                                  Motion Blur: On for Checked Layers
                                  Use OpenGL: Off
                                  Solos: Current Settings
                                  Time Span: Custom
                                  Start: 0:00:22:10
                                  End: 0:00:40:01
                                  Duration: 0:00:17:17
                                  Frame Rate: 25.00 (comp)
                                  Guide Layers: All Off
                                  Storage Overflow: On
                                  Skip Existing Files: Off

Output Module: Lossless
                                  Output To: C:\Documents and Settings\Fran\My Documents\Adobe\AfterEffects\FilmNoir\FogCameraMan1.avi
                                  Format: Video for Windows Movie
                                  Output Info: No Compression
                                  Include: Project Link & Source XMP Metadata
                                  Output Audio: Off
                                  Channels: RGB
                                  Depth: Millions of Colors
                                  Color: Premultiplied
                                  Stretch: 720 x 576 (High Qual)
                                  Crop: -
                                  Final Size: 720 x 576
                                  Profile: -
                                  Embed Profile:

Post-Render Action: None

0:00:22:10 (1): 15 Seconds
                                  0:00:22:11 (2): 11 Seconds
                                  0:00:22:12 (3): 11 Seconds
                                  0:00:22:13 (4): 14 Seconds
                                  0:00:22:14 (5): 14 Seconds
                                  0:00:22:15 (6): 12 Seconds
                                  0:00:22:16 (7): 13 Seconds
                                  0:00:22:17 (8): 13 Seconds

.... now what?
                                  • 14. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                                    (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
                                    Fran, maybe those first few lines will help. Have you tried updating to version 9.0.1?

Also, permissions aren't really relegated to the land of programming, but for computer users in general. If your user account on your computer doesn't have sufficient rights to access certain areas, that could explain why you were having problems writing files to those areas. But, I'm not sure if that is the reason for your difficulties.

Also, is your PC updated? Have you checked for any Microsoft updates that you may need?
                                    • 15. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                                      Level 1
                                      Version 9 of what? Obviously you don't mean After Effects as I've only just got that in the last few days and I only just began paying my bank for it, I can't afford any more outlay.

On permissions - if you mean do I have administrator rights, then yes. I like to set up irritating Windows to work as close to my way as rotten ole BG lets you - like letting me see the file extensions even if they are "known" as they idiotically put it. (Plus a lot of other stuff) And for that and to install anything - you need administrator rights.

As for windows updates, yes those irritating things arrive all the time.

I bought the best graphics card and video card I could, NVidia has at long last updated their drivers to match their product - loons. Plus I've recently added a newer and faster harddrive.

Memory might be next on my list but not for a year (or 6 months at least) but it's a dual core quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
                                      2.40GHz, 3.00GB of RAM anyway - the best I could get at the time.

I don't see what else a poor student can do right now in that respect.

As for programming - well alright, but if I have to go into the bios I'm handing the machine over to my tame engineer and let him follow any instructions offered.

Just in case you did mean After Effects I've clicked on Updates while in AE - and some stuff is updating now, I don't know if any of those are for AE though as it doesn't tell you what it's going to do, only what it's doing right now...
                                      • 16. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                                        (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
                                        Hey Fran.
                                        I did mean After Effects. The 9.0.1 update is a free update for those who purchased version 9.

Your Adobe Updater is probably doing that now (as you mentioned).

If not, you can download the update directly from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4086
                                        • 18. Re: Render Preview Error - Help?
                                          Level 1
                                          I got the update for After Effects - plus a lot more for Adobe.

Unfortunately it hasn't helped - AE still crashes on rendering.

(I've now discovered some more problems - even worse than this one, but they involve Premiere and something called Media Encoder - and they manage to crash the whole computer, not just the program.)

I can't believe I actually paid for this hellish experience.... (goes off into a corner to cry)