8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 9:05 AM by dansch37

Mac export for powerpoint?

Level 1
      Hello there,

Does anyone know the file format I need to export from AE in order to be embedded in a powerpoint presentation? I think they want the highes resolution possible, so any guidance would be much appreciated.

Muchos gracias!

- Fredo

ps: Happy new year, all!
        • 1. Re: Mac export for powerpoint?
          Level 1
          Fredo_Viola@adobeforums.com wrote:
          > Hello there,
          >
          > Does anyone know the file format I need to export from AE in order to be embedded in a powerpoint presentation? I think they want the highes resolution possible, so any guidance would be much appreciated.
          >
          > Muchos gracias!
          >
          > - Fredo
          >
          > ps: Happy new year, all!

Microsoft support page says it will accept ASF, AVI, MPG or WMV files.
          Lossless AVI will preserve quality in export. A WMV at very high quality
          settings would be smaller but still excellent quality if space a concern.
          • 2. Re: Mac export for powerpoint?
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
            While Microsoft SAYS PP supports those formats, you will need lots of time and lots of patience to nurse your people through this flawed procedure. Embedding movies in PP depends on several factors such as the folder location of the file, the host's ability to play the movie's codec and data rate, and the host's output card, among others. All of these things can appear to work fine at your shop, fine on the client's desk, fine in the rehearsal, and go all to heck at the show. Clients do not understand why and will always blame "your stupid movies."

You can program PP to run a movie with WMP and that is always the better choice form a reliability point of view.

bogiesan
            • 3. Re: Mac export for powerpoint?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              For PP: WMV is the only decent solution that will work on "vanilla" Windows systems. MPEG 1 (loose spec high-res) does also work, but it requires a third-party CoDec e.g. by installing a DVD-player software. And while David's view is a bit too pessimistic, he has a point. Your client needs to know what he's doing and I too, can recommend to embed the clips as "Media Player Objects" rather than movie clips. This provides much more control (including proper fullscreen playback when needed).

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Mac export for powerpoint?
                Level 1
                Thank you, folks!

goodness, this is all new stuff to me! :( "Media PLayer Objects"... is that something I can do directly from AE, or do I need to get some third party app to output as such?
                • 5. Re: Mac export for powerpoint?
                  craulmedia Level 1
                  as far as i remember Ae (Windows) does support WMV export.

otherwise, on Windows PC you have several options and free Software solutions

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

or

Somewhat free (for mpeg encoding): http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/download.html

just to name a few

and for mac

VisualHub = discontinued - but now open source in development state.

or

http://www.dvcreators.net/dv-kitchen/ (pretty cheap $$$ for my opinion)

or Flip4MAc Plugin http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm
                  for exporting via Quicktime (Pro = $ 29 or so) or Mpeg Streamclip (Free)

on newer versions of PP (Office 2003) mp4 worked for me - but better cancel that and save yourself from hassles with the client ;)
                  • 6. Re: Mac export for powerpoint?
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                    "Media Player Object" refers to Windows' standard OLE/ DOM model. Basically you are not embedding the data this way, but tell PowerPoint to use a specific system component, Media Player in this case. If you will, what you tell it to do is to pop a full Media Player onto a given PP slide instead of using its own routines to playback the video file. This will allow to make use of all performance optimizations and such. On a normal system this is pretty painless, as WMP is part of any standard Windows Install and thus it should work on any system. All you need to do from AE is export a normal WMV file (on Macs by ways of Flip4Mac) which is then referenced by this WMP object. The rest is done from within PowerPoint later, e.g. defining whether to show the playback controls or loop the file. Obviously there are different versions and combinations of PP and WMP out there, but in general the procedure is safe to use.

Mylenium
                    • 7. Re: Mac export for powerpoint?
                      bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                      > And while David's view is a bit too pessimistic, he has a point. Your client needs to know what he's doing and I too, can recommend to embed the clips as "Media Player Objects" rather than movie clips. <

Me? Pessimistic about Windows?

Here's an issue you will need to face, forgot if I mentioned it earlier: your graphics card may not support mirrored displays for the movie media. If your lappie is sitting on the lectern (not the podium) and the movie appears on it, it may no necessarily appear on the output to the projector. might just be a big black hole. fixing this requires going geek into the card's controls, not the the display controls.

bogiesan
                      • 8. Re: Mac export for powerpoint?
                        dansch37 Level 2

Animated gif exports to PP well and even stays embedded. I know the quality is lower but its a solution that works in my office.

(to play on pcs, you do have to place them into pp on a pc and also set the iterations in a gifbuilder other than AE)