6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2009 2:59 AM by Andrew Yoole

tracking a clone effect!

hey guys :)

right i have been trying to track a cloned effect, but with little success!
      its an actor with a section of his right eye 'cloned over' so it looks like a nasty rocky style closed eye after doing 10 rounds with mike tyson, now the 'easy' workaround was i 'cut out' my effect and then motion track it to a null object and this works fine but i just wondered if i could track the clone effect so it stays around the eye area please?
      there is not much movement at all, he is sat in a chair and very barely moving his head!

thanks for any help!
        • 1. Re: tracking a clone effect!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Any distinct markers somewhere? If you don't have any reference points (eye corners, pimples, scars, pores) that could be used, I don't think you'll have much luck with tracking. If you do somehow, it should be sufficient to track those features and then adjust the feature center by adding offsets via expressions. Andrew Kramer has a tutorial on this (I think part of the demon face series), so stop by at videocopilot.net.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: tracking a clone effect!
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8
            Here's a Community Help search for 'track clone'. The second result is an article by Angie Taylor on the Digital Arts website that shows how to use motion tracking and cloning together.
            • 3. Re: tracking a clone effect!
              Level 1
              thanks very much guys but i checked out the andrew K tut and the one by Angie T on DA website and they are good but still cant get exactly what i need!
              i can track the footage fine (tracking the eyes and i get a solid track) but now i need to link the clone effect and cannot figure out how to do this???
              • 4. Re: tracking a clone effect!
                craulmedia Level 1
                link to WHAT?
                to the Tracker?
                add the tracking data to a null object and parent the clone to the null.
                now you have hands free for readjusting your clone without touching the tracking information.
                • 5. Re: tracking a clone effect!
                  Level 1
                  thanks very much Thomas!
                  so if i add the tracking data to a null object then parent my clone to it, the clone will stay over the right eye even when moving then please?
                  i will try this later!

the effect i am looking for, is for the clone effect to stay in its place (over the right eye) while the actor moves his head (only very slightly though) and like i said, i figured out an easier option with making a photoshop layer of it, then cut and paste this onto my footage and then parent that to my tracked null object, now this works well but i was just experimenting with trying to track clone effects :)
                  • 6. Re: tracking a clone effect!
                    Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                    As Mylenium mentioned, Andrew Kramer has a relevant tutorial:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/the_healer/