3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2009 6:10 AM by craulmedia

Unable to import .exr sequence into CS4

Level 1
      Now that there is a first bug fix for AE 9 i wanted to give it a try today:

I opened an existing AE 8 Project and got the "missing footage" warning.
      Second thing i noticed is that the find missing footage option is no longer in place, so i opened up every folder of my project to find the missing stuff.
      I then found out that a few EXR sequences where missing, double clicked on the first one to re link it, navigated to the folder and ignored the fact that it was still in place (like all rest that wasn't missing).
      I then marked the first picture and was a bit surprised to see that the "EXR Sequence" option in the import dialogue was greyed out. Clicked on "import" anyway and nothing happened - the file was still marked as missing.
      I tried the same thing again two or three times wich still didn't work.
      Then i dragged the folder containing the sequence onto the AE project window to import it and replace the original by hand - nothing happened.
      Tried the same with a single frame and via the import window with the same non-result.

Finally i opened the project in AE 8 again and continued my work moaning about Adobe, CS4, the money I've spent for unusable software (again) and all the rest.

Any idea what causes the problems with EXR files (that by the way, where rendered out of AE 8 ) ?
        • 1. Re: Unable to import .exr sequence into CS4
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >Finally i opened the project in AE 8 again and continued my work
          >moaning about Adobe, CS4, the money I've spent for unusable software >(again) and all the rest.

Well, sorry for the inconvenience. Actually this is handled differently in CS4, but not explained anywhere. I've added a comment to the help system to clarify. See below:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WSB108BC99-A69B-46c4-86D3-2192805C2AF8a.html

"Projects, that were created in After Effects 7 or CS3 and make use of OpenEXR files, will report the footage as being offline when opened in CS4. This is because those versions used a different I/O plug-in that is not compatible with the fnord version in CS4. only CS3 projects that already used those alternate plug-ins will open correctly. To restore the file references, you have to manually replace them by using Footage >> Replace from the File menu."

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Unable to import .exr sequence into CS4
            Level 1
            Thanks for the tip Mylenium,
            unfortunally i've already tried to replace the sequences manually but it didn't work either. As i wrote above i wasn't even able to import the EXR's.
            • 3. Re: Unable to import .exr sequence into CS4
              craulmedia Level 1
              am i now allowed to scream

Adobe: FIX IT!

?