11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 8:51 AM by Navarro Parker

inside a 3D sphere? How to?

spdorsey6969 Level 1
      Hello

What's the best way to shoot using a moving camera in side a 3D sphere? CCsphere does not seem to do the trick, as it is still a flat plane when I move the camera in 3D space.

Any input is appreciated.

-----------S
        • 1. Re: inside a 3D sphere? How to?
          craulmedia Level 1
          i think a tutorial will describe best how could it work for ya.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKAqSeC5a-k
          • 2. Re: inside a 3D sphere? How to?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            CC Environment (from the commercial HD version, not included in AE) or Trapcode Horizon would do this nicely.

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: inside a 3D sphere? How to?
              spdorsey6969 Level 1
              I posted over at CreativeCow. I'll post here also.

Thanks for the replies, but I'm not there yet. ;)

Okay, please bear with me here. I'm (clearly) not an expressions guy, but I need to get this done asap.

I have a comp where I'm using CC sphere to "be" inside a spherical background. I want the background to move when the camera moves.

That script got me half way there.

My camera is parented to a null which is animated. The camera actually has no keyframes or expressions applied to it.

The current expression is applied to the CCsphere X Y and Z rotation attributes and links to the camera position:

lookAt(thisComp.activeCamera.position, position)[0]
              lookAt(thisComp.activeCamera.position, position)[1]
              lookAt(thisComp.activeCamera.position, position)[2]

This is great, but I need it to be linked to the rotation of the camera's null, not the position of the camera. I'm trying to figure this out with no success. Any ideas?

Thanks
              • 4. Re: inside a 3D sphere? How to?
                craulmedia Level 1
                if you want to control your camera via null object, leave expressions where they are and just parent the camera to the null.
                • 5. Re: inside a 3D sphere? How to?
                  Level 1
                  Matching a camera move to the CC Sphere effect so that you maintain the illusion of a true sphere is fairly complex. It involves several expressions.

Here's a copy of a post I made a few months ago. There's a sample project included. All you should have to do to achieve your desired effect is to change CC Sphere to render only the back.

You can do a rotating sphere using any one of several 3rd party apps. To create the effect using the built in effects take an image you want to use for the globe surface and apply the CC Sphere Effect. You'll find that under Effects>Perspective>CCSphere.

Apply the CC Sphere to the layer, make the layer 3D, change the Transform properties to Auto Orient towards Camera, then apply the followint expressions:

To CC Sphere X rotation:
                  r = lookAt(position, thisComp.layer("Camera 1").transform.position);

x = r[0] - 180;

value + x
                  To CC Sphere Y rotation:

y = - r[1];

value + y
                  To CC Sphere Z rotation:

z = r[2] +180;

value + z
                  If you really want to get fancy you can add expressions to light height and direction using a variation of the basic lookAt(position1, position2) language.

Hope this helps. You might want to take a look at this sample project using one of the images picked from the google link above
                  • 6. Re: inside a 3D sphere? How to?
                    craulmedia Level 1
                    Hi Rick,
                    great work, didn´t knew this little expression mod.

but spdorsey is talking about a "skybox".
                    • 7. Re: inside a 3D sphere? How to?
                      Level 1
                      If you want to create a sky box the best solution is Trapcode Horizon.

The trick I posted above will work just fine for a sky box if you adjust the size of the sphere, but it's going to take forever to render and not produce the results that you get from Horizon without much more than a click.
                      • 8. Re: inside a 3D sphere? How to?
                        spdorsey6969 Level 1
                        Is horizon the way to go? Is it easier? Can it use a vector image as a background map (I created it in AI and I'd like to preserve the vectors if possible)

Here's my attempt at the script mentioned by Rick above. It's not working, but I don;t know if it is set correctly.

http://www.dorseygraphics.com/forumphotos/aecs3_globescript.png

Thanks again all for your help. It's saving my a$$.

--------S
                        • 9. Re: inside a 3D sphere? How to?
                          spdorsey6969 Level 1
                          Just bought Horizon. It's a LOT easier!

but I am learning a lot about expressions. I do appreciate all the input and constructive help!
                          • 10. Re: inside a 3D sphere? How to?
                            craulmedia Level 1
                            you can take a look at Dan Ebberts expression ressource if you wan´t to learn more about expression, many of them are simple but powerful.

http://www.motionscript.com/
                            • 11. Re: inside a 3D sphere? How to?
                              Navarro Parker Level 3
                              Horizon is excellent -- especially if you want to integrate elements done in Cinema 4D.