7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 4:43 PM by craulmedia

CS4 Crash on Exit

Hello,
      my system crashes about 75% on exit. RIght after I choose to close the program, it halts, and then displays a crash report. It's not a huge deal since I can close out of the project, then exit and have it crash...but still. Haven't found anything about this in the forums I search.

I seem to notice it happening as I've been working a lot, so could it have something to do with the computer malfunctioning from overheating?

Anyone have any idea? I just built this machine and put it together for AE work, so I'd like to get this thing working right. Here's my system specs:

Intel Quad Core Q9550 2.83 GHz
      4 Gb RAM
      Vista Ultimate 64
      NVidia GeForce 8600 GT

Open GL has been disabled by removing it from the system files.

If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it. Thanks,
        • 1. Re: CS4 Crash on Exit
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          Does this thread help?

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b78398
          • 2. Re: CS4 Crash on Exit
            Level 1
            Have this same problem here too. Windows XP SP2, quad core, 4GB, nVidia Quadro FX4600 with Jan 9 nVidia drivers. Open GL disabled (because it crashes immediately with it enabled).
            • 3. Re: CS4 Crash on Exit
              Level 1
              Hi,
              all the posts on this mention that it's a mac issue, but perhaps it affects us PC users as well. Mark, you have a similar setup to me other than running XP sp2 instead of Vista.

I am a little confused about the comments around involving ScriptsUI stuff. I am not running any third party or other goofy scripts, but may be confused as to what a scriptUI is. I do undock my panels. Do I get this right, Todd, that if I have an udocked panel that there is a script running somewhere in the background that could be corrupting the exit command?

I'm to re-create the problem and play with this idea.

Thanks for any thoughts,
              Terry
              • 4. Re: CS4 Crash on Exit
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                Terry, this is not an issue with the standard panels that are a part of After Effects. Rather, it is possible for a person to create a script that creates a dockable panel; this is accomplished with a part of our scripting interface called ScriptUI. These extra docked panels created by these extra scripts are what trigger the crash on exit.

No, it's not the fault of the people writing the scripts.
                • 5. Re: CS4 Crash on Exit
                  Level 1
                  Hi Todd,
                  that's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification. I'll keep searching and see if I find something...
                  • 6. Re: CS4 Crash on Exit
                    Level 1
                    Mark,
                    this may not help you since it sounds like you had updated drivers...but I updated my video card driver to the latest one and am not having having the issue anymore.

Something about nVidia graphics cards and OpenGL for sure.

Surprisingly, I submitted an explanation in the crash report expecting nothing, and was immediately helped by an adobe engineer who helped solve the problem in a few emails. Pleasantly surprised with Adobe customer service on this one.

Thanks all,

Terry
                    • 7. Re: CS4 Crash on Exit
                      craulmedia Level 1
                      if Problems with Graphics Cards appear, download the right tool, find out all build/manufacturer information about your graphics card http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=5
                      maybe "SiSoft Sandra" or "Lavalsys Everest" will do.

then call manufacturer support and get information on the most compatible (older) drivers for your graphics card. it saved me tons of troubles.