8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2009 11:21 PM by Mylenium

Open GL not recognized

Bollo1 Level 1
      I have two gForce cards in my Win XP Pro system, the 7900 and the 8800.
      Both are listed as being supported by AE CS4. I have the 178.24 drivers
      installed, which is also listed as supported.

However AE CS4 says that no Open GL card was recognized.

Any hints? I understand that I might not want to use it as it is buggy, but I would at least like to experiment with it.

Thanks,
      Andrew
        • 1. Re: Open GL not recognized
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Disable one of the cards! Having two in the same machine and then also different models quite likely causes some unfavorable driver hocuspocus happening behind the scenes, thus disabling some features completely.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Open GL not recognized
            Bollo1 Level 1
            I have had it configured this way for a long time, with no known problems. Photoshop CS4 uses the Open GL without complaint. The reason for two is to color manage each monitor with their own profiles. The same driver is being used for both cards.

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Open GL not recognized
              Mmh, that's funny in a way and at the same moment quite pleasing to hear, as over in the PS forum there are tons of posts stating problems on dual combos. ;-) Anyway, if you use different profiles on the monitors, it might also be the culprit. Ever since AE got color aware with CS3, it would probe such info on startup and if it cannot make sense of it, it may disable some functions. This might even be true if you use the same custom crafted profile on both screens. I'd definitly try to disable the profiles and see if it brings any betterment.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Open GL not recognized
                Bollo1 Level 1
                That is funny.

I guess I should try it. Would just disabling the 2nd card in
                the device manager, turning off the machine, plugging the 2nd monitor
                into the 1st card do the trick? Longer term I do want to have the
                dual monitor color management, but it might be interesting to isolate
                the problem here.

Thanks,
                ah
                • 5. Re: Open GL not recognized
                  Bollo1 Level 1
                  This is really odd. I changed nothing on the system, I did not even reboot. I just restarted AE and suddenly AE recognized open gl. It did have some warning messages, but it rendered a cartoon effect in about a 1/10th the time that it did before when it was not recognizing
                  open gl.

Very odd.
                  • 6. Re: Open GL not recognized
                    Indeed. Did you run any other apps that use OpneGL during any of the attempts. Either it grabbed a hold of OpenGL and prevented AE from seeing it or just the opposite - it initialized some routines, so AE was able to use it. Whichever way - it is still rather mysterious and certainly worth investigating.

Mylenium
                    • 7. Re: Open GL not recognized
                      Bollo1 Level 1
                      I do not think anything I had used before or after used OpenGL. No games, and I have not fired up PS in the meantime. A few days ago I
                      toggled the hardware acceleration in video properties from full to medium and back to full (I have found this helped with Premiere in the past, so I thought it might help AE find the Open GL props, it did not
                      help at the time).

I have no idea how to investigate further. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
                      • 8. Re: Open GL not recognized
                        Not really. If it works, I'd just be glad that it does... ;-)

Mylenium