6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2009 4:24 AM by (idar_lettrem)

Spinning objects effect "Youtube look"

Level 1
      Hello I'm trying to create that circling objects effect look.
      See attached picture & link..

Spinning objects look
      Click to watch it in motion.

See the following link to see it in motion:
      http://www.sratim.co.il/

I'm trying to create that look in after effects - and I would like to get some help from you guys about how to start creating it?

Also I'd appreciate a tutorial about it or a downloadable project of the same style.

It's a big project and my client needs it fast so please help! :)

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶
      ADOBE MASTER COLLECTION CS4
      Win Vista Ultimate 64bit
      RAM: 4GB (Corsair 800Mhz)
      CPU: Intel Quad Core 2.4Ghz (Q6600)
      GPU: ATI x1950XT 256MB
      MB: Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP
        • 1. Re: Spinning objects effect "Youtube look"
          craulmedia Level 1
          look here
          http://aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=854&p=4006&hilit=cylinder#p4006

you'll get the idea.
          • 2. Re: Spinning objects effect "Youtube look"
            Level 1
            This example isn't a cover flow simulation, it's a simple cylindrical arrangement of the layers with each layer maintaining orientation to the front (not the camera) as the cylinder rotates.

It's a simple thing to distribute a few layers around a cylinder using a null. Simply create a place holder 3D layer, a 3D null and a camera in your comp. Then set the null as the parent to the 3D layer, move it back in z space an appropriate distance and duplicate it so you have as many layers as you want. Let's say you want 10 layers.

Once you're at that point all you have to do is to remove the parenting of layer 1 and rotate the null y value 36º (360/10), then rotate the null another 36º by selecting the y value, moving the cursor to the left end and typing + 36. Release the next layer from it's null parent, and repeat for each of the layers.

Next you'd select all of the layers, reveal the rotation property and with all selected right click and reset orientation. Now all the layers will be facing the front of the comp.

Now select the Y rotation value of one of the layers and set up an expression to the null's y value. The expression looks like this:
            value - thisComp.layer("Null 1").transform.yRotation
            The next step is to copy the expression only, then select all of the layers and paste.

The last step is to then parent all of the layers back to the null.

To create the motion, animate the null.

It is possible to write scripts or expressions to automatically distribute layers, adjust the radius, and simplify this process. They would be very helpful if you had a lot of projects like this to do, but for one project with a limited number of layers this is probably the easiest approach.

You'll find a CS4 example here. This should get you started. Just animate the Y rotation value of the null and adjust the camera position to frame up the shot the way you like.

Hope this helps.
            • 3. Re: Spinning objects effect "Youtube look"
              Level 1
              Wow! thanks a bunch Rick!
              Actually I got this Expression from someone at another forum:

=================================
              Name your Null object 'Controls' and add two expression sliders called "Radius" & "Number of Items" and an angle control called "Rotation".

In the position property of your items add the following expression:
              ---
              radius = thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Radius")("Slider");
              angle = degreesToRadians(thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Rotation")("Angle"));
              offset = degreesToRadians(index * (360/thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Number of Items")("Slider")))

x = thisComp.layer("Controls").transform.position[0] - (radius* Math.sin(angle - offset));
              z = thisComp.layer("Controls").transform.position[2] + (radius* Math.cos(angle - offset));
              y = thisComp.layer("Controls").transform.position[1];

[x,y,z]
              ---
              ===========================================
              But still if you look at the the first sample I up loaded you'll see that the scale ratio between the foreground & background objects is bigger.
              Also I want the background objects to be higher so I can see them.
              this also I think I can get by changing the camera view.
              but when I play with the camera POV the objects prespective change accordingly - Can I some how go around that (like in the sample above?)
              • 4. Re: Spinning objects effect "Youtube look"
                Level 1
                You control the scale ratio using camera position. The closer the camera is to the front object, the smaller the back one. You control framing with the zoom value. It's just the same as using a real camera. Perspective is controlled by camera position, framing by focal length.

The expression that you presented is a good one. I'd automate it a bit by changing the offset to use the number of layers instead of a slider. That way you could have as many layers as you like. You'd just subtract the camera and controller layer (or camera, lights, and controller) so that each time you added a new layer they were equally spaced around the comp. My modification would look like this:
                radius = thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Radius")("Slider");
                angle = degreesToRadians (thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Rotation")("Angle"));
                offset = degreesToRadians(index * (360/(thisComp.numLayers -2)));

x = thisComp.layer("Controls").transform.position[0] - (radius* Math.sin(angle - offset));
                z = thisComp.layer("Controls").transform.position[2] + (radius* Math.cos(angle - offset));
                y = thisComp.layer("Controls").transform.position[1];

[x,y,z]
                I've also uploaded another comp as an example. You'll find it http://www.hottek.net/samples/Cylinder2.zip%3Ehere%3C/a%3E.%20I've%20also%20tied%20the%20x %20angle%20of%20each%20of%20the%20layers%20to%20a%20tilt%20controller%20and%20adjusted%20t he%20camera%20position%20and%20zoom%20value%20to%20give%20you%20something%20like%20you%20d escribed.%3Cbr%20/%3E%3Cbr%20/%3EEnjoy
                • 5. Re: Spinning objects effect "Youtube look"
                  Level 1
                  Thanks man! I'm going to Post here the result!
                  • 6. Re: Spinning objects effect "Youtube look"
                    Level 1
                    I'm going to Post here the result!

and the project itself please!