9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 2:12 PM by (idar_lettrem)

Post announce upgrade policy (PAU)

Level 1
      (Some adobe official will certainly read this in a while !)

Just a few weeks before CS4 was released I purchased CS3 from bhphoto.. NY
      After realizing this simple fact - that I should have waited a few weeks - I searched and was glad to find this PAU-offer from Adobe.
      After some initial phones to adobe norway (and adobe europe) I was directed to Adobe US where it was confirmed that I should qualify for a PAU. Beyond any doubt, but provided that I had a US adress that the upgrade could be shipped to.( which was no problem)
      So what happens next: numerous phones ( most of them apparently to India!) and mailings , and 2 months later I find myself still with my CS3.
      And every attempt to make adobe follow up on their own promises have effectively been sabotaged. So yes - I'm a bit dissapointed on this sort of customer service.
      It all sums up in two suggestions from me
      a)adobe stops selling any product to european customers via US based shops ( ~1/2 price compared to europe, ie back here AE cost approx 2k$ alone!)
      b)adobe cancel offering PAU to non US customers
        • 1. Re: Post announce upgrade policy (PAU)
          craulmedia Level 1
          yes it's true, customer service at Adobe is running pretty strange somehow.
          Walter Biscardi is an Award Winning Editor who is running his own Business and is a highly Apprecciated Creative Cow Member

Read here about his Experience with Adobe Custom(er) Support

http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi/page/4

and

http://www.biscardicreative.com/blog/?p=15

i'm somehow sorry for posting this, but sadly it's true story.
          • 2. Re: Post announce upgrade policy (PAU)
            Level 1
            Even though my issue was somewhat different, I find Biscardi's blogs directly relevant and to the point.
            On norwegian forums I'll warn about adobes policy on this area.
            ( and btw : adobe would never ever gotten away with this if located in norway - where customers seem to be much better protected!)
            • 3. Re: Post announce upgrade policy (PAU)
              craulmedia Level 1
              jep, different case maybe but same spot man.
              read on for the comments on that topic at CC-Blog.

if i were Mr. Biscardi i would have took the next flight to Adobe Headquarter straight away and pin myself with handcuffs right onto the entrance door. some would call it stupid or sick, i would rather call it unrequited customer-rights.
              • 4. Re: Post announce upgrade policy (PAU)
                teetime17 Level 1
                My experience today with Adobe US customer support makes me seriously question why I would want to do business with the company. This morning I ordered the CS4 Production Suite box set and some other software from the online store. It is impossible to tell at this point whether it was my error, or Adobe's, but when I received my confirmation email I realized the order was for download rather than boxed set. I figured, no big deal, I'll just call customer service and they can correct this.

Here is their "solution":

1. I have to inform customer service that I want to "return" the software I've not downloaded, and they will send me all the paper work I will need to fill out. This has to be done through customer service since the web tool can't handle download "returns" This initial part of the process can take "several days".

2. After Adobe receives all my paper work it will take them approximately 3 weeks to issue a credit to my credit card.

The impact of all this is on me is that I won't be able to reorder the software until the credit is back on the card (probably 4-5 weeks).

Over the course of trying to get this resolved I was transferred to three different people in customer service, but no one could see any way to resolve this in less than 4-5 weeks. I was told "you should be happy with download - why do you feel you need media?" I was told "it had to be your error, and that because of the way the web site presents the question, a lot of people make the same error. We hear this all the time."

Eventually, I asked if I could speak to a supervisor in hopes they could offer an acceptable solution. I was then told "there is no supervisor on site, but I can have one call you within 72 hours."

This afternoon, my wife stopped at the grocery store. They had a really good special on a particular cut of beef, but had run out. At this particular chain, employees are empowered and expected to provide stellar customer service. So she wasn't surprised when the butcher told her "We are sorry we are out of the cut you wanted. Would it be ok with you if we substituted this higher price cut in its place, at no additional charge to you."

What Adobe should have done: "We are sorry for the error. We are going to block activation on those downloadable serial numbers and immediately credit your card. Would you like for me to place your new order, or would you prefer to place your order again at our online store?"

Or even "We are sorry for the error. Would it be satisfactory to you if you downloaded the software, and we then sent you backup media for your order at no charge?"

In the past I've had a lot of respect for Adobe's technical prowess, but this customer service episode has left me with a really bad taste in my mouth for the Company. I think I'll sleep on it and figure out tomorrow whether I really need that CS4 enough to wrestle with this.
                • 5. Re: Post announce upgrade policy (PAU)
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                  >http://www.biscardicreative.com/blog/?p=15
                  >
                  >i'm somehow sorry for posting this, but sadly it's true story.

Quite pointless, don't you think, no matter how reputable Walter Biscardi may be otherwise? Comparing a 7000 USD product that may have a user base of a few thousand users with something like Encore, which has perhaps an effective net sales value of 300 USD and is used by 1000 times as many people is literally on of those apples and oranges cases. Really. Or would you rather Encore/Premiere's price quadrupled just so Adobe can hire additional call center agents to give you those cosy "we make you feel important" calls? I don't think so.

Mylenium
                  • 6. Re: Post announce upgrade policy (PAU)
                    Level 1
                    With all respect Mylenium but for my part this is all about
                    "not to tell lies" and "not to promise more than you actually are able to stand up to".
                    It's as simple as that.
                    It would be fair enough if Adobe directly told me that " no mister - we don't provide this kind of service".
                    If such a policy was cleraly sorted out from the very beginning I could have spared myself spending energy and time on this matter.
                    • 7. Re: Post announce upgrade policy (PAU)
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                      Yes, of course, and my point was in no way directed at you. Still, forgive me for saying this, since you chose to bypass official European trade channels (for well understandable reasons, but nonetheless...), trouble was inevitable. As far as I remember the free upgrades had even tighter regulations for European sales channels, so in all fairness, if you were not/ are not willing and able to bite it real hard and have patience, you should not have chosen that route to begin with. And even so: First and foremost it's still a problem of the reseller...

Mylenium
                      • 8. Re: Post announce upgrade policy (PAU)
                        craulmedia Level 1
                        pointless what? the rad about encore at W.B. blog is just the tip of the toe - we're talking about Custer Service.
                        i'd rather concentrate on the facts instead of trying to blur them out.

b jnorman17 - 8:51pm Jan 19, 09 PST (#4 of 7)

b "In the past I've had a lot of respect for Adobe's technical prowess, but this customer service episode has left me with a really bad taste in my mouth for the Company."

That's a true point. Adobe Engineers work hard to satisfy a users mind - and Customer Service destroys a users mind. Something at Adobe is defintely running in the opposite direction
                        • 9. Re: Post announce upgrade policy (PAU)
                          Level 1
                          Mylenium
                          "since you chose to bypass official European trade channels (for well understandable reasons, but nonetheless...), trouble was inevitable"

Actually I can take a fligth from Oslo to NY, visit B&H and get my AE CS4.. then travel back home with less total spenditure compared to spendings if the sofware was purchased in Norway.