4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2009 11:12 AM by (Steve_Patterson)

Displaying Embedded Date/Time Codes

Is there any way to display the embedded date/time codes in the AVI files that I have imported from my Digital-8 video camera? I can view them when playing the tape in either my video camera, or my Sony 'Video Walkman' tape deck, but have not been able to find a way to do it in either After Effects or Premier.

Thanks, Gary
        • 1. Re: Displaying Embedded Date/Time Codes
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Not that I know of. Premiere should maintain that info in its data, but only if you captured in it, either in the captured files directly or in the metadata. AE simply doesn't care for TCs...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Displaying Embedded Date/Time Codes
            Level 1
            I know that the codes are being captured in the AVI file, because if I record the file back out to another Digital-8 tape and then play the tape back on its tape deck, it shows the date/time codes properly.

I am trying to create an index of all of my video tapes. The index includes the date that each clip was taken and its length. I can do this by loading the tapes into my player one-by-one and fast-forwarding to the different scenes, but that seems like a lot more trouble than it needs to be, especially when my ultimate goal is to get rid of all of my old Digital-8 equipment and tapes.

Gary
            • 3. Re: Displaying Embedded Date/Time Codes
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              Mmh, have you tried other applications to convert and archive your stuff? I know for a fact that e.g. Canopus ProCoder respects and converts embedded timecodes for a number of formats. Or what about VirtualDub? it's free after all, so a test spin couldn't hurt. Perhaps there's even some plugin for it that generates a text file from the TCs... There's definitely one that does edit detection, if I remeber correctly.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Displaying Embedded Date/Time Codes
                (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
                I'm pretty sure that in QT Pro, you can see the timecode track. Maybe you can extract it and use it somehow?