8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2009 8:01 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Pixelated Text and solids in AE

Level 1
      Hey all,

I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I am using After Effects CS3 and have noticed the edges on all my text is pixelated (jagged) It's just all the edges and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. It's on all fonts and the continously rasterize is on, though I dont think you can turn it off for text anyways. Also, I should note it's not only the text, shapes, when rotated (not when perfectly straight) are pixelated, as well as edges on other files I bring in are sometimes pixelated/ jagged as well. This happens in all comp settigs including .9, 1.2 and square PAR. And the resolution is full at 100% in the viewer. This problem is both in the viewer and when I render.

Any advice or insight is much appreciated.

Thanks,
      James
        • 1. Re: Pixelated Text and solids in AE
          (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
          Are the layers set to best quality?
          • 2. Re: Pixelated Text and solids in AE
            craulmedia Level 1
            activated PAR toggle causes jagged edges, as it does in Photoshop.
            nobody knows why, except for the software engineer.
            check it.
            • 3. Re: Pixelated Text and solids in AE
              A. Cobb Level 3
              I can tell you why, Thomas: the default quality of PAR Correction simply drops or adds columns of pixels rather than blending or interpolating. There is a solution, though, and that is to use Lloyd Alvarez's excellent Throttle script to set the super-secret PAR Correction Quality preference.

http://aescripts.com/throttle-12/
              • 4. Re: Pixelated Text and solids in AE
                craulmedia Level 1
                Hi Aaron, thanks for suggestion. Lloyd Alvarez is always suprising with his toolbox.
                important to read the adobe note for Mac users about script UI.

But... c'mon, if Lloyd can brake into that little PAR secret, why it is so hard for the dear engineers to change that value forever. i bet it has something to do with AE preferences i did not figured out yet because it's absolute no fun having Ae restarting just because changing the PAR.

however, this needs immediate tweaking by the developers because it seems not to be a walk onto nag parbat for my opinion. same applies to Photoshop.

i'll let you know if i make success with that issue.
                • 5. Re: Pixelated Text and solids in AE
                  A. Cobb Level 3
                  I agree with you 100% on this, Thomas. I've been asking for properly-interpolated PARC for some time now, only to discover it's been there all along, just hidden. It boggles the mind. Even if there is a noticeable performance hit, I'll gladly take it if it keeps clients from freaking out about either A ) jaggies/banding due to crummy PARC, or B ) distortion due to the lack of PARC.
                  • 6. Re: Pixelated Text and solids in AE
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                    To submit feature requests, fill out the feature-request form.

The greater the number of requests, the greater the chance that the feature will be implemented.
                    • 7. Re: Pixelated Text and solids in AE
                      craulmedia Level 1
                      got answer from AE-Bugs, they've sent me the solution, but...
                      i think it's your turn Todd to put the solution into Livedocs :P

perhaps drop it also to the Photoshop guys, i think there should be a solution for PAR also - i don't know yet...
                      • 8. Re: Pixelated Text and solids in AE
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                        > think it's your turn Todd to put the solution into Livedocs

Nope.

There's a reason that the hidden text preference is not documented.

The preferences that are exposed only in the text preferences file are not officially supported, which also means that they're not tested as thoroughly as other parts of the application. We (I) have a very strict rule that we don't document these untested, unsupported aspects of the application.

I asked one of the software engineers why he didn't just expose the preference for the higher-quality pixel aspect ratio correction for previews. He said that the original reason was that it was too slow. But now the big reason is that the feature hasn't been fully tested.

So, make your feature request using the feature-request form if you want this feature exposed in the application. Part of implementing that feature would be to thoroughly test it.

But until the feature is officially in the application, I'm not documenting it in the main body of the Help document.

This doesn't mean that someone shouldn't add a comment to the relevant page(s) of Help on the Web, though.