6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 12:46 AM by elaine montoya

Transparent XFL to Flash - Not Transparent

jkmusic Level 1
      CS4-Vista 64
      My desire is to create an awesone flash sequence in AECS4. When I export to swf or XFL, the video has a black background, I need it transparent. IN Flash, I am unable to remove the black backround if the file comes from AE. A FlashCS4 file is fine. What am I doing wrong? Thanks
        • 1. Re: Transparent XFL to Flash - Not Transparent
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Are you sure you're using the right type of sources? XFL only supports PNGs with transparencies. Off the top of my head I'm not sure if the conventional SWF exporter ever handled any transparencies, it definitely doesn't for anything that needs to be rasterized...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Transparent XFL to Flash - Not Transparent
            jkmusic Level 1
            The problem is that SWFs directly out of AE are ginormous (transparency good). 6MB for what should be a 400K. I am trying to find a way to import to Flash to make it smaller. Look like the only alternative is to use flash for flash, not AE. But that was a key selling feature.
            • 3. Re: Transparent XFL to Flash - Not Transparent
              jkmusic Level 1
              Is there a workflow to get decent flash video from either Premiere or AE that are normal size?? Does Premierehave the same large file problem? Flash has little or no effects.
              • 4. Re: Transparent XFL to Flash - Not Transparent
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                AE rasterizes its frames as discrete JPEGs for SWF, hence the large file sizes. This method does not use FLV. For Flash video at decent sizes you will have to use the FLV exporter in the render queue. You should be able to control file size and data rate on the respective panel. And, as mentioned earlier (and noted in the docs), native animation can be generated with the XFL format, but only with the correct source file types, which AE will pass through, but with the benefit of creating the actual keyframes in AE.

Mylenium
                • 5. Re: Transparent XFL to Flash - Not Transparent
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                  For the details about XFL export from After Effects, see the "Export a composition as an XFL file to Flash Professional" section of After Effects Help on the Web.

The main reason that I see for using this feature is to add interactive animation to the individual layers of your After Effects composition by bringing them into Flash and using ActionScript. If you're trying to make vector graphics animations with very small file sizes, then going from After Effects to Flash through XFL is not the right workflow. This is largely a pixel-based workflow, and pixel-based image files are inevitably going to be larger than vector-based image files.
                  • 6. Re: Transparent XFL to Flash - Not Transparent
                    elaine montoya Level 3

In case you didn't find an answer yet...

Are you referring the the transparency you would get via an alpha channel? For example, if you had a greenscreen shot that you keyed in AE and then wanted to bring into Flash to either composite with other Flash graphics or be transparent on a web page?

If so, make sure when you are exporting your file as an XFL format file, that you select to rasterize as an FLV. Select the format options button and make sure the On2 VP6 Codec is selected and that Encode Alpha Channel is selected - otherwise you will not have transparency. If those are selected, it should work correctly.

Let me know if you have any questions....

elaine