8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 6:30 AM by mbbrooks58

new user- help with exporting to AVI

mbbrooks58
      I'm just beginning to use this program & testing how it exports as AVI (into powerpoint). What my problem is- the video plays much faster when it's previewed in powerpoint than it does when I preview in AE. This is for patient education & I need things to move slowly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: new user- help with exporting to AVI
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Check your composition frame rate. PowerPoint assumes a given frame rate (12 or 15fps in most cases, adjustable via the options) and items will not play correctly if there's a mismatch. Also most AVI formats do not correctly embed timecode and timebase information, making the problem worse. If you can, work with WMV files and embed them as a MediaPlayer object rather than a movie clip. This will guarantee best performance and exact playback and also looks a lot better due to less compression artifacts.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: new user- help with exporting to AVI
            mbbrooks58 Level 1
            THank you. Now another question- I didn't see exporting as WMV as an option, would I export the animation?
            • 3. Re: new user- help with exporting to AVI
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              You need to add the stuff to the Render Queue (which, by all means, should be your standard rendering procedure rather than using Export) using Composition --> Add to Render Queue. Once there, you can click on the Output Module settings and select Windows Media as the target format. Since you will be using this regularly, it might be a smart idea to create an output module template with suitable settings, so you don't always have to manually adjust everything.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: new user- help with exporting to AVI
                mbbrooks58 Level 1
                Thanks so much, that worked- and you saved me hours! Now I just have to work on resolution, looks pretty pixelated.
                • 5. Re: new user- help with exporting to AVI
                  craulmedia Level 1
                  just a question on EXPORTING in AE.
                  Seriously, what is it good for anyway?

Think, it should be dropped completely in CS5 - if not in the next CS4 update - and only allow render queue because so many other applications use "export" as default command for outputting media, but in AE, for my opinion, it just creates confusion and it could really save HOURS for many newbies.

However.
                  • 6. Re: new user- help with exporting to AVI
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                    > just a question on EXPORTING in AE.
                    > Seriously, what is it good for anyway?

There's a summary breakdown that tries to answer this question in the "About rendering and exporting" section of After Effects Help.

Here's an excerpt:
                    "You use commands in the File > Export menu to render and export SWF files and XFL files for use in Flash Player or Flash Professional, respectively. You can also use commands in the File > Export menu to encode movies into some formats (such as raw DV streams) using QuickTime components. However, in general, you should use the Render Queue panel rather than the QuickTime components available through the File > Export menu."

Third-party tools can add items to the menus like the File > Export menu, so the File > Export menu contains some components installed by these importer plug-ins.

Other than that, we try to keep things in the File > Export menu that don't actually involve complete rendering of the frames of a movie (i.e., the creation of a complete frame of pixels from the image model of the composition). For example, exporting a project as a Premiere Pro project does not involve rendering. Exporting to XFL involves anywhere from no rendering to a lot of rendering, depending on the composition.
                    • 7. Re: new user- help with exporting to AVI
                      craulmedia Level 1
                      there is never no answer, whatever comes, right Mr. Kopriva? ;)
                      • 8. Re: new user- help with exporting to AVI
                        mbbrooks58 Level 1
                        OK, thanks, I now understand exporting is not the solution but render queue is & yes I agree, it's automatic because so many programs use export.