4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2009 8:10 AM by craulmedia

Forum formatting is driving me nuts!

craulmedia Level 1
      b A line starting with 'b ', 'i ', 'c ', '* ', '] ', or '> ' provides simple formatting ????

could anybody explain it to me what the hell is this forum formatting all about.

if a i write an single "i" at the beginning or sometimes it happens somwhere in the middle of a text, the text becomes italic and/or the "i" disapperars.

Example:

i am having troubles

should be "i am having troubles"

could someone change that, except me of course. thanks
        • 1. Re: Forum formatting is driving me nuts!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Well, check your Grammar... "I" is still written capitalized every time in English. ;-) Of course I agree it's annoying and makes one wonder, why Adobe can't get around to providing a better forum software. After all, they are a 4 billion big burger, not some garage company, they own Flex and there are places on their site that use much more elegant solutions... Though, on the other hand, they made it even worse when they tried to change the software a while back (it killed off pretty much all traffic here, because nobody understood how to use it or wanted to use it), so it's probably not too bad to keep the current system for a while longer. Well, we'll simply have to see if chief honcho Shantanu has set aside some budget for this year....

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Forum formatting is driving me nuts!
            (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
            I may be in the vast minority here, but I really like how this forum is laid out, and how it functions. That's not to say that there couldn't be other ways to present it that may also be good, but I suppose "I've grown accustomed to your face" would apply here.
            :)
            • 3. Re: Forum formatting is driving me nuts!
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              Rest assured, there are plans in motion for a significant upgrade to the Forum's engine in the not-too-distant future. Might I also add that there is a huge user-base who, like Steve above, enjoy the minimalist layout and style of the Webx forum engine used here now.

But in the meantime, the instructions are very clear to me.

b A lower case "b" at the start of a line makes text bold.

i A lower case "i" at the start of a line makes text italic.

c A lower case "c" centres text.

* An asterisk at the start of the line sets a bullet.

] A closed-square-bracket at the start of a line indents the text.

> A "greater-than" symbol indents text and sets the font to courier - great for quoting.

Sorry, but I must say that failure to use capitals in their correct places is NOT a reasonable criticism of the forum software. The word I is spelt with a capital I, not a lowercase one.
              • 4. Re: Forum formatting is driving me nuts!
                craulmedia Level 1
                Thanks guys, you'll always find arguments to kill my grumpy comments.
                anyway, i'm not satisfied how the forums works and theres are a million forums in the www which look tidy and still work simple & flawlesly.