13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 1:54 AM by yenaphe

CS4 RAM preview slow

Ferguda123 Level 1
      Ever since I installed CS4 nothing will RAM preview over 8 frames a second.

I am running on a Mac Pro 2x2.8 quad core Intel, 8gig Ram, files are on a Raid 5 XSAN storage with 31 terabytes of space...

I've tried everything I can think of. I even imported in SD footage and tried playing back at 1/20th of the resolution. Tried unchecking color management, open gl previews, proxy renders into motion jpegs...nothing is working.

Any suggestions?
        • 1. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
          What are your Memory settings in your preferences? Also, is Multi-processing clicked or unclicked?

in case i don't get back to you, try these (for CS3, similar system to yours):

Max memory usage: 300%

Max RAM cache: 60% (you can turn this up somewhat)

Enable disk cache on
          • 2. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Unplug the XSAN. I seem to remember seeing this noted somewhere... It would appear that certain types of network connections somehow make CS4 services (licensing, process coordination server) go coo-coo due to the operating system reporting something weird to the programs. Ideally, you would even re-install everything while unplugged, so the services ignore the XSAN in the future.

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
              Ferguda123 Level 1
              Hmmm..interesting.. thanks for the responses.

Cameron - CS4 is laid out a little different in the "memory/multiprocessing" tab but yeah I've tweaked every possible setting in this with no luck.

Mylenium - Doesn't feel right but XSAN may be the issue. Even when I run the project file and source files on the local machine I still get the same RAM playback problem. I run a MAC lab with 18 other stations like mine and I don't seem to have a problem from any of the other computers. The only real difference is that I have XSAN administrator installed on my machine while the others only have the client and I did not uninstall CS3 (for troubleshooting purposes). Perhaps the CS3 copy is interfering? I don't really want to toss this as every once in awhile I'll find that I need the older version laying around.

I'll do some more troubleshooting ...thanks.
              • 4. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                > The only real difference is that I have XSAN administrator installed on my machine while the others only have the client

It wouldn't surprise me if the overhead of running Administration tasks from the same machine is causing the problem. Ideally, XSAN Admin should be managed from a standalone machine.
                • 5. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
                  Ferguda123 Level 1
                  From my experience the XSAN administrator is not a very intensive program. It is mainly setup up to manage client machines and permissions. It can be installed on as many or few machines as one would like.

Also, I have another computer in the lab with the XSAN admin and it is running CS4 perfectly fine.

I think I am going to try uninstalling CS3.
                  • 6. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
                    craulmedia Level 1
                    > I think I am going to try uninstalling CS3.

but be careful. i'd recommend uninstalling all of your adobe products to prevent conflicts afterall.
                    backup presets and related stuff prior to "clean installing" AE CS4.

cheers
                    • 7. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
                      Ferguda123 Level 1
                      Recently did a clean sweep of both CS3 and CS4 suites and reinstalled CS4. Still no luck in getting above 8 frames a second on playback of RAM previews. I checked for updates on the Kona3 card and downloaded them. I checked for updates on other video card. After Effects is pretty much useless on this machine until this is figured out.
                      • 8. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
                        craulmedia Level 1
                        i guess RAM mixture or even faulty RAM could be the issue.

if you have different RAM mixed up from different manufacturers, try just keeping all the RAM bars that came from the same manufacturer. no matter if you are left with just two gigs of RAM in the end, it's just for testing purposes.
                        • 9. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
                          Ferguda123 Level 1
                          Thanks everyone for the input. Turns out it was bad ram, I switched it out and alls well.
                          • 10. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
                            lucianoo_the_great

hi there!

could you please tell me how many frames per second you get after you solved the problem? i am thinking in buying a mac like yours and i would like to know if its worth it

thabks

• 11. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
                              Elias Huch

Has this issue been resolved?  I am upgrading to CS4 and am on a large XSAN.  I want to make sure there are no current issues.

• 12. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
                                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That particular issue has been adressed in the 9.0.2 update, if I'm not mistaken, so it should be safe.

Mylenium

• 13. Re: CS4 RAM preview slow
                                  yenaphe Level 4

Luciano: Ram previews are real time (unless you have a specific problem), so if your comp is at 2fps or 50fps, your ram preview will play accordingly.