2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 12:18 PM by Mylenium

Do real lens flares have motion blur?

Navarro Parker Level 3
      I recently applied ReelSmart MotionBlur to a Light Factory layer by mistake. I really liked the look it gave fast moving flares. But then I got to thinking... would lens flares ever have motion blur in real life? Maybe this is a question better suited for Wikipedia.
        • 1. Re: Do real lens flares have motion blur?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          Sure. Motion blur is just a result of light from an object striking different parts of the film (or sensor) at different times during an exposure.
          • 2. Re: Do real lens flares have motion blur?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Yes and no. Depends on the elements. The only ones that would have notable MB would be the elements from outside the camera, e.g. the light source halo. Most secondary elements would not show much, as apparently they only "crawl" along the surface of the glass lenses and bounce around, which is in the millimeter range at best and hardly noticeable - the motion of such an element can never exceed the curvature of the lens, anyway. If it does (i.e. the angle of the light in relation to the lens does not generate any more reflective/ refractive artifacts), it simply disappears. Even if you consider that the optics are near the filmback and in theory even minor angular motion would cause supposedly large positional changes in 2D, this does not necessarily hold true. More than anything, the shape, intensity and coloring of the element changes, which usually disguises any other motion artifacts...

Mylenium
            1 person found this helpful