6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2009 12:17 PM by David Wigforss-Hv1BNN

AE CS4 and Intel i7 965 Extreme Quad processor

jimmy@access.se Level 1
      Hi! I have to build a new computer and right now I thinking about the Intel i7 965 OR the 940. The 965 cost a lot more but is faster, so I wounder if I can expect it to pay back in the long term? I would love to get some feedback from you i7 users. AND, are there any alternative to the i7 I should consider?

Regards / Jimmy
        • 1. Re: AE CS4 and Intel i7 965 Extreme Quad processor
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Well, good luck with your build. The Core7i seems to burn hot, as reported by users on 3D forums, but I can offer no first-hand insights. I'm still in the planning and money saving phase myself. If you're not in a rush, you could wait a few more weeks. intel just announced the first revision/ new stepping and you may get better prices then as well as a wider choice of motherboards, some of them not being dependent on the expensive DDR3 RAM. I don't think you will get anything better than C7i for a while and Adobe software has always worked better on intel procs. As for long-term: The usual 3 months. Something better will come out just one day after you bought your stuff, that's for sure, so you will have to decide how long you want to use your setup. That being said, it is reasonable to assume that it will be quite acceptable for at least 2 years and that all software coming out in that time will run on it with what maximum performance you can hope to squeeze out of it. Things can only get better...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: AE CS4 and Intel i7 965 Extreme Quad processor
            Adobe has not always work better On intel Processors it actually worl better on risc which aka powerpc came from! when the G3,G4,& G5 where out it always outperform there Intel Counterparts during that time!
            • 3. Re: AE CS4 and Intel i7 965 Extreme Quad processor
              We are talking PCs here, friend, in case you haven't noticed. And no, I do not generally think that any Mac was ever better than a comparable PC, so any discussions on comparing - erm - Apples and oranges are wasted breath. Unless you dig the real hard benchmark data, any perception of "performance" is colored and can be influenced by a million factors outside the program actually being put to test. And, just for starters, I would like to remind you, that it took Apple themselves eons before they actually were able to put AltiVec to use... What was that, when it relly worked? G4 second generation? So there you go.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: AE CS4 and Intel i7 965 Extreme Quad processor
                Navarro Parker Level 3
                Oh, let's not relive those olden days of RISC vs. CISC. ;)
                • 5. Re: AE CS4 and Intel i7 965 Extreme Quad processor
                  Oooh yeah, even more so that, if RISC and alternate processing types would be as important, we'd all be using SGI workstations with R10000 processors, Sun SPARCstations, Atari Falcons or Acorn computers and intel would be a garage shop still making controlelr chips for laundry machines. Or alternately, AE would run on your Playstation 3's cell processor... ;-)

Mylenium
                  • 6. Re: AE CS4 and Intel i7 965 Extreme Quad processor
                    David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
                    Speaking of SGI... Here's a video from a couple years ago showing the old Softimage 3D. It really is amazing how far computers have progressed. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-163150319185531526

(cool seeing the Godzilla mesh/rig)

AE running on a PS3... LMAO. One instance barely benefits from my quadcore.. Almost as funny as modelling on a cellphone.. http://teavuihuang.com/maya/tutorial/