4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2009 10:47 PM by Mylenium

AfterEffects CS4 and AVCHD/.m2ts

ZimFromIRK Level 1
      I have Premiere Pro CS4 and downloaded the trial version of AfterEffects CS4. I have a Sony HDR-SR12 camcorder that I uses the video source and it produces AVCHD .m2ts files.

While Premiere Pro CS4 imports this file format just fine, and it's on the list of importable file formats for AfterEffects CS4, when I try to import one of these files into AfterEffects, it says "Unsupported File Format".

Is this because I'm using the trial version, or is the spec sheet wrong? I tried calling Adobe Support, but they won't talk to me until after I buy.

Secondary question, probably obvious to experts: if I can't import .m2ts into AfterEffects, what is the least lossy way to get video from Premiere Pro CS4 (which I do own) into AfterEffects CS4?

Thanks in advance...
        • 1. Re: AfterEffects CS4 and AVCHD/.m2ts
          Level 1
          If you're going to work with highly compressed footage you should get it into a lossless or nearly lossless format as quickly as you can. Try PhotoJpg or Animation Codec.
          • 2. Re: AfterEffects CS4 and AVCHD/.m2ts
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            >Is this because I'm using the trial version,

Yes. As duly noted on the download page, all support for MPEG and derivatives is disabled in the trial version for licensing reasons.

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: AfterEffects CS4 and AVCHD/.m2ts
              ZimFromIRK Level 1
              Ahhh, thanks! I did see this, not on the download page, but via a link from that page:

The trial versions of Adobe After Effects® CS4, Flash CS4 Professional, Adobe Premiere® Pro CS4, and Soundbooth® CS4 software do not include some features that depend on software licensed from parties other than Adobe. For example, some codecs for encoding MPEG formats are available only with the full version of these products.

But it says "encoding" (I'm trying to import) and AVCHD isn't on the list of exportable formats. The confusing thing is that it just doesn't recognize the extension at all. It would be better if the trial version would say "not supported in trial version" when one attempts to open a .m2ts file. I do have Premiere Pro CS4 already and it has no trouble with these files -- it would be nice if the AfterEffects trial would just use the already-licensed installed Codecs.

Thanks again for clearing this up.
              • 4. Re: AfterEffects CS4 and AVCHD/.m2ts
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                Yepp, the phrasing is not ideal, but since the same modules and plug-ins are responsible, they disable everything. It's eitehr all or nothing, as unfortunate as this is.

Mylenium