4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2009 6:05 AM by Webshark2000

No Audio with Dynamic Link from AE to PPro CS3

Webshark2000 Level 1
      I posted this thread in the Premiere Pro CS3 forum, but haven't found a solution there yet, so I figured I'd post it here.

I was working on a project in Premiere Pro and have a sit-down interview (about 10 min long) where the camera is on a tripod and doesn't move. The clip was captured using Premiere Pro from a SD MiniDV tape. I noticed something in the background and wanted to cover it up, so I created a dynamic link and imported the clip into After Effects, did the clean-up and when I go back to Premiere Pro, the Dynamic Link's video is fine (with the object in the background covered up), but the audio track in the Dynamic Link is blank.

I checked and the audio is on in After Effects (if I do a RAM Preview I hear the audio). For some reason it isn't showing up with the Dynamic Link. If I load the Dynamic Link into the source monitor in Premiere Pro and look at the audio only there is no waveform, just a completely straight line (silence).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link from AE to PPro CS3
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          You cannot create cyclic links. The clips in the AE project would still reference the source clips and this very likely causes your audio conflict. Also note that the linked AE comp would not provide realtime audio unless you render the sequence in Premiere. Anyway, should be easy to simply add the audio from the original source or copy&paste the clips inside Premiere.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link from AE to PPro CS3
            Webshark2000 Level 1
            > You cannot create cyclic links.

It's not cyclic. The original video file with audio isn't in the Premiere Pro project anymore, only the dynamic link. When I created the dynamic link, I imported that clip from the computer's hard drive into AE, just as if I had imported any random clip into AE from the hard drive. I have version CS3, so I can't send a dynamic link from PPro to AE, only from AE to PPro.

> Also note that the linked AE comp would not provide realtime audio unless you render the sequence in Premiere.

I tried rendering it, and still no audio.

> Anyway, should be easy to simply add the audio from the original source or copy&paste the clips inside Premiere.

The only problem with this is that I need to do a lot of editing to the clip, so if I'm constantly having to try to match up the audio and video it would be a huge problem. Is there a way to link them up in the project window, so that the audio from the original clip is always linked to the video from the dynamic link?
            • 3. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link from AE to PPro CS3
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              I don't follow. If you haven't finalized your edits, why even begin effects work? Sounds like a lot of wasted time and effort. By all means, in that case you should not trim and edit your stuff in AE, but rather in Premiere only. DynamicLink behaves like normal clips, so there's nothing stopping you from cutting and trimming it along with your audio, assuming the DL comp covers the entire duration of the original sources. If you get my meaning: Only use the DL as a placeholder until you are sure what parts you actually will need. Other than that this sounds like the classical "Saddling the horse from behind" where you tried to include DL in your workflow for no apparent reason. You could just as well do the full rough cut first and then use the final bits and pieces in AE by creating individual comps for the snippets, not the whole track. Anyway, I still have no clue why you are not hearing audio in that case, so perhaps something is up with your device settings. Either maybe there's a mismatch between PPro and AE or PPro is grabbing a hold of them, shutting out the DL AE instance...

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link from AE to PPro CS3
                Webshark2000 Level 1
                > I don't follow. If you haven't finalized your edits, why even begin effects work? Sounds like a lot of wasted time and effort.

It's not effects, just covering up an object that was in the background during this entire interview. I was hoping to do it once on the raw clip so I didn't have to do it multiple times after editing.

>You could just as well do the full rough cut first and then use the final bits and pieces in AE by creating individual comps for the snippets, not the whole track.

From what I've heard about CS4 you can send DLs from Premiere Pro to AE, so doing the coverup after I was finished editing would work in that case, but in my case, since I'm using CS3 I can't do that.

So if I'm understanding your suggestion I would have my finished edit with, let's say 50 cuts from the interview (mixed in with b-roll) and then I would need to cover up the object in the background in every one of those individually? How would that be easier than doing it one time on the original RAW clip and then editing with that clip?

Maybe I'm just not understanding exactly what you're trying to explain. Please don't read this message as snide or angry, I would really like to find a solution to this problem. I'm going to try some experiments once I finish this project.