5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2009 7:29 PM by (Rick_Gerard)

Please fit in AE. No I said fit dam you!!!!

deakant Level 1
      Hi all,
      I approx 250 still images of all different shape and sizes that I have scanned. I have decided to crop them 7x5inch in photoshop or 5x7inch, depending on landscape or portrait image.
      I have then batched processed them to a 4.3 aspect ratio, using DV PAL (1.07). No problem.

But here is my problem. How do I tell AE CS3 to automatically resize each image to fit the comp size 720x526. DV PAL
      Premiere has this facility, but I cannot find it in AE CS3.

If AE CS3 cannot do this then what is the quickest way of resizing portrait and landscape images?

Thank you

josel
        • 1. Re: Please fit in AE. No I said fit dam you!!!!
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          Since you're already batch-processing them in PS, why not resize them to the comp size - such as a fixed 576 pixels high?
          • 2. Re: Please fit in AE. No I said fit dam you!!!!
            deakant Level 1
            Thanks Andrew,
            So AE has no facility to auto re size?

josel
            • 3. Re: Please fit in AE. No I said fit dam you!!!!
              (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
              You could precompose them all at their original size, and then resize the precomp.
              • 4. Re: Please fit in AE. No I said fit dam you!!!!
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                Yes, AE can auto-resize. Here are the keyboard shortcuts to do so:

Win: Ctrl+Alt+F Mac: Command+Option+F

Win: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+H Mac: Command+Option+Shift+H

Win: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+G Mac: Command+Option+Shift+G

These are all laid out in the manual and live documentation:
                http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a9d3c597-7987a.htm l

But this may actually be an inefficient way to achieve your goal. You've only mentioned the dimensions of your images, not the resolution. If you are resizing images to 7x5 inches @ 300DPI, they will be 2100 x 1500 pixels. That's a lot of pixels in a 720x576 composition, and AE will have to do a lot of number crunching in every frame rendered, causing longer render times. If the images are never bigger than full-frame in your 720x576 composition, it would make sense to adjust their size accordingly in PS first, to reduce the amount of processing required in AE.

Note that you can also just manually resize multiple objects in the normal way. Select all the layers requiring resize and just adjust in the comp preview window normally.
                • 5. Re: Please fit in AE. No I said fit dam you!!!!
                  Level 1
                  You don't want to use Ctrl+Alt+F for this kind of work ever.... it will distort your images.

In fact you should never use the FIT command. 99.997% of the time it will give you different X and Y scale values which will distort your footage.

Use the other options to fit horizontally or vertically (replace F with H or G).

If you are planning moves on the images then they all must be big enough in pixel dimensions to crop to the desired size in AE when scale is set to 100%. Say you wanted to push in to 1/4 of the image. If the comp is a PAL comp then you need at twice the height of the comp (or 1152 pixels) in height. You set up a batch action in photoshop to make the images the right size, adjust the sharpening (because resizing always softens images) an remove the appropriate amount of detail, I like dust and scratches for this, to keep the interlacing in PAL or NTSC video from wreaking havoc with your renders.

If you simply want to fill the screen horizontally you can use a simple expression. Remember percentages from the 4th grade. What percentage of a foot is 4 inches. Try this expression for scale value of each layer:
                  x = thisComp.width/width
                  ns = value * x;
                  ns
                  The value statement allows you to set keyframes for scale. When the scale keyframe is 100 the image will fill the width of the comp. If you want to fit to height then just change width to height in the expression.