3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2009 1:22 PM by Navarro Parker

Youtube movie weirdness

richardELeach Level 1
      Hi-
      I know many of you don't like Youtube, I get it! Unfortunately I have a client who needs me to edit and produce some video movies to post onto his Youtube account.

I'm building the movies in After Effects CS4, rendering the files as QuickTime, using the Apple Animation codec (seems to work best for the chroma key work I'm doing, brightness issues aside). I then open the movie in QuickTime Pro and export from there using the h.264 codec.

All seems well when I open and test the movie on Mac. Even on PC things still look OK. However when I post to Youtube the movies appear just fine in Firefox on Mac AND Windows but viewing the movie in Internet Explorer from Youtube gives me very low res quality. Does anyone know anymore about what Youtube is doing, why I would get these kinds of variances and what I should do to remedy the situation? Some have said that Youtube actually determines which type of video it will send based on user's connection, browser headers, etc....

Thank you in advance,

Rich
        • 1. Re: Youtube movie weirdness
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >and what I should do to remedy the situation?

Switch to Vimeo et al?! ;-)

>Some have said that Youtube actually determines which type of video
          >it will send based on user's connection, browser headers, etc....

Yes and it is the sole reason why your video looks crap in some browsers, but not in others. The failure in your specific case is differences in embedding multimedia objects between browsers combined with mime type/ Active X detection and there is nothing you can do short of manually hacking in a higher quality number in the URL to enforce playback at better quality. They are listed in several places on the web and include the ominous "20/22" for full HD playback to "09" for standard NTSC res as well as an assortment of inbetween steps in res and/or quality...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Youtube movie weirdness
            richardELeach Level 1
            Hi Mylenium-

Sure, Vimeo, revver et al are all options, but right now my requirement is still dealing with YouTube. I've tried numerous things to make my movies run as well as they do from my Flash player, including resizing, exporting with different codecs, etc. and find it hard to believe that I'm the only Mac multimedia developer who has run into this problem. So perhaps I should re-ask my original question:

Are there any Windows or Mac movie producers who have successfully generated movie(s) that you've tested in all browsers and are sure that they run nicely across all platforms and all browsers playing from Youtube? If so, could you kindly share your experiences, what tool you developed your movies in, platform, export options, etc.?

Thanks again for your help, and thanks to you Mylenium!

Rich
            • 3. Re: Youtube movie weirdness
              Navarro Parker Level 3
              Seems like the problem is with YouTube, and not how you are encoding your movie. I upload PhotoJPEG Quicktimes and I think they look pretty decent on YouTube -- especially the HQ and HD versions. But then again, I never use Internet Explorer.