8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2015 10:36 AM by RideToHeaven

PEK and CFA extension

Shahram_ve99 Level 1
      Hi
      Would you please help me? I have some questions, what is media cache? I found that there are more than 10 GB files with PEK and CFA extension in media cache folder, can I delete them? Why does After effect create these huge files? Is it normal? Is there any software to search and delete these files?
      Appreciate any help in advance.
        • 1. Re: PEK and CFA extension
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          See the "The media cache" section of After Effects Help.
          • 2. Re: PEK and CFA extension
            Shahram_ve99 Level 1
            Thank you
            • 3. Re: PEK and CFA extension
              you can change the default location of the media cache files in the prefences pull down

because our artists are "lazy" :-) i put a startup command in
              c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

its a text doucument called "delete_old_cfa.cmd"

whose contents are

set FOLDER=s:\aeTemp\Media Cache Files\Cache.MACC
              for /f "Tokens=* skip=100" %%f in ('dir "%FOLDER%\*.*" /o-d /b') do del /f /q "%FOLDER%\%%f"

on restarting from boot it will keep only the most 100 recent files in the media cache folder .... that will stop those files filing up your harddrive
              • 4. Re: PEK and CFA extension
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                Antony,

Would you please add that gem as a comment to the "The media cache" section of After Effects Help?
                • 5. Re: PEK and CFA extension
                  Cris is Bliss Level 1

I manually put them in the trash. but I would like to know WHAT are PEK and CFA files and in what instances should they be kept because they are needed.

If they are thrown away but are needed will they be automatically regenerated by AE??

• 6. Re: PEK and CFA extension
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Cris, see this page:

"The media cache"

• 7. Re: PEK and CFA extension
                      Treize131

Followed the advice here and cleared out the larger .cfa and .pek files.

I don't know if anyone has had any luck troubleshooting why these folders get so big, but when I went in I noticed something that relates to another problem I was having.

When I looked at the files they were all conformed files that errored out when I put them into Media Encoder for export.  When that would happen ME would lock up and I would have to manually end the program with task manager.  I know there's issue with compression of some files (mp3, mp4, etc) that cause ME to lock up; still no idea what exactly is the cause and not sure I have a real work around just yet for that problem.  Ultimately, I don't think those folders get cleared out when the Adobe Creative Suite has trouble with certain files.  Basically, the files conformed in PrPro but wouldn't export or couldn't be queued up with ME, when ME or PrPro crashed the conformed files remained.

I don't know if that helps anyone but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

• 8. Re: PEK and CFA extension
                        RideToHeaven

So I tried moving my Cache to a different external hard drive and that seam to take via PremierCC and AE CC. However when I import an AE CC composition into PremierCC it creates a .pak and or a .cfa file. not sure why this keeps happening. This only seams to happen when I import the After Effect comps into the Premier CC timeline.

What  I want if for all cache files to go the external drive. Why is this happening?

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 1.30.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 1.29.44 PM.png