21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2017 5:56 PM by hermannholmtoft

Wave Warp stops moving

QuireGS Level 1
      I've got a Wave Warp that animates at a Speed of -5, right to left. It only works for 615 frames, then sits there motionless. This happens in CS3 and CS4. What am I doing wrong? :)
        • 1. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
          Tim Dougherty Level 1
          Maybe a simplified answer here, Mark, but have you checked where your keyframes end? Press U on the layer to reveal the keyframes. If this is a preset effect, they usually end at 5 seconds or something like that.
          • 2. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
            QuireGS Level 1
            Many thanks for the suggestion, Kickerlight. The solid the waveform has been applied to has no keyframes on it at all though.
            • 3. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              I have no idea and cannot reproduce this here on my end. Is it perhaps possible that you are ramping up the speed and at the point where you think it stops, it actually only plays so perfect in sync that for every frame the visual result is the same?

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                QuireGS Level 1
                I'm not changing the speed of the wave at all - in fact I want it to remain constant throughout.

Here, let's see if anyone can replicate this sudden cessation of motion! I've now done this in CS4 and 3, on two separate XP PCs. Same result every time.

Create a new comp. Mine happens to be 1028 x 760, 24 fps and have a dureation of 3:28:20 (to match some audio I am working with).

Now, import a JPG or something. I've tried this out on strokes on paths in solids, JPGs, AVI - all of it reacts the same way.

Throw down your chosen item and choose Effects > Distort > Wave Warp. Your media will go all wiggly! Now set the Wave Speed to -5. Change no other settings on the Wave Warp distort.

Play. What I get is, the wave moves from right to left at a constant rate until 25:15 secs, when it stops dead and moves not again for the rest of the comp.

I've experimented with different speeds, too, and they all seem to stop after different times. It's as if Wave Speed somehow gets 'used up'.

So, another way I might put my question is - how do I get a Wave Warp to stay at a constant speed over 3:28:20? :)
                • 5. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                  QuireGS Level 1
                  I'm not changing the speed of the wave at all - in fact I want it to remain constant throughout.

Here, let's see if anyone can replicate this sudden cessation of motion! I've now done this in CS4 and 3, on two separate XP PCs. Same result every time.

Create a new comp. Mine happens to be 1028 x 760, 24 fps and have a dureation of 3:28:20 (to match some audio I am working with).

Now, import a JPG or something. I've tried this out on strokes on paths in solids, JPGs, AVI - all of it reacts the same way.

Throw down your chosen item and choose Effects > Distort > Wave Warp. Your media will go all wiggly! Now set the Wave Speed to -5. Change no other settings on the Wave Warp distort.

Play. What I get is, the wave moves from right to left at a constant rate until 25:15 secs, when it stops dead and moves not again for the rest of the comp.

I've experimented with different speeds, too, and they all seem to stop after different times. It's as if Wave Speed somehow gets 'used up'.

So, another way I might put my question is - how do I get a Wave Warp to stay at a constant speed over 3:28:20? :)
                  • 6. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                    Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                    You're 100% correct - I can duplicate the problem exactly in CS4 on a Mac Pro. The only parameter that seems to change the "stop point" of the effect is Wave Speed. The higher the number, the longer the effect lasts.

I believe you've found an honest-to-goodness bug. I have posted a Bug Report, drawing Adobe's attention to this Forum thread. Feel free to also post a Bug Report yourself:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

You can work around the issue by trimming the layer at the point the animation stops, then duplicate it and distribute it along the timeline to fill your time requirement. Precomposing them may make things more manageable. You may need to play with your layer trim-point to remove any kinks in the animation at the layer change point.
                    • 7. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                      QuireGS Level 1
                      Thanks for that Andrew, much appreciated.

I like your work round, but don't think I can make it work (without a lot of fuss!) with what I doing to the Wave Warp next. Check out Aharon Rabinowitz's Creative Cow tutorial on creating custom wave forms to see where I am going with it...

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/waveform_1.php

I am actually wondering if I can do something with keyframes on the Phase property of the wave to get it to move at a constant rate throughout...? I'll have a tinker this pm.
                      • 8. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                        QuireGS Level 1
                        I can report that a keyframed Phase also stops unexpectedly after a while.
                        • 9. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                          Navarro Parker Level 3
                          What if you put a "time*10" expression into Phase?
                          • 10. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                            QuireGS Level 1
                            Navarro - *10 made for barely perceptible movement. *1000 - it still stops unexpectedly at about 33secs in. Thanks for the suggestion, tho.
                            • 11. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                              Actually I believe I know what happens: At the time in question it reaches the maximum internal value of 32000 in its counter, which, without specific precautions is the limit for integer value sliders, if I recall correctly. Wonder, why I didn't see it the first time. So yes, it's a bug. Anyway, there's a workaround. Leave the speed value and animate the Phase. To create the illusion of continuous motion, use the modulus (%) to reset the values after they have reached a maximum.

wLength=40;
                              wCycles=20;
                              wCount=wLength*wCycles;
                              wTime=timeToFrames(time);

[wTime%wCount]

The trick would be to find a suitable seamless value for the wave length. Should be something like the acos of the wave speed value for sinus waves, but my brain is fried at the moment and I'm not in the mood to test it, so forgive me. Just experiment a bit and you surely will find the right values.

Mylenium
                              • 12. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                                QuireGS Level 1
                                Mylenium, thank you, that's quite amazing.

It's evident that the wave now animates for the entire duration of the comp. I've hit another snag, though, in terms of getting it to move at a useful speed, and I was wondering if your brain might be a bit less fried at some point and be able to guide me!

In essence, Mylenium, I want it to move just like it does at Wave Speed -5. I'm afraid (ashamed?) to admit that my trig just isn't up to the task...
                                • 13. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                                  The formula used in the plug-in caused me some experimentation, as it uses a linear transformation as opposed to associating the phase with the angle (it calculates the wave first, then moves it), but here is something you can use.

Mylenium

//-----------begin expression--------------

//wave length

wLength=thisLayer.effect("Wave Warp")("Wave Width");

//convert time to frame count

//frames for one phase

wSpeed=7;

//direction, 1 for negative, -1 for positive

wDirect=1;

//reset after x cycles

wCycles=5;

//reference cycle for 1 sec

wRefFps=timeToFrames(1);

//reference angle for 1 sec = 1 full phase

wAngFps=360/wRefFps;

//remap values

wAngFrame=linear(wSpeed,wRefFps,0,wAngFps,360);

//reset

wCount=wLength*wCycles;
                                  wReset=wTime%wCount;

//calculate angle

wAng=wReset*wAngFrame*wDirect;

wAng]

//----------------end expression---------------
                                  • 14. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                                    Level 1
                                    or you can find the last frame of motion on the clip. trim it there. then loop it.

i tested, it works
                                    • 15. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                                      QuireGS Level 1
                                      Great idea a t, but I need to play with the height of the warp throughout the whole duration (it's simulating a curvy audio wave - something AE's built-in Audio waveform doesn't do. It's also simulating a mouth too...yeah, I know, kinda weird, but it'll make sense when it's finished!).

Mylenium, I've had my head buried in Drupal for a while, so I've not had a chance to try out your expression - but wanted to say that I really appreciate the time you've evidently put into that and I'll let you know how I get on as soon as I get back to the mysterious waveform project (which will be soon)!
                                      • 16. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                                        Norbertofh Level 1

Hi,

I also bumped onto this problem and I came up with a simple formula that allowed me to make the effect behave "normally" (or so it seems to me):

wSpeed = 2; // should be set with the desired Wave Speed value. The original property must have a 0.0 value

// determines the phase value per frame (I determined by hand that a speed value of 1 equals a value of 24 for the phase, 2 equals 48, and so forth)

wStep = 24 * wSpeed / 2;

// determined the number of steps (frames) until a full phase loop is achieved

wStepCount = 360 / wStep;

// transforms time to frames

// determines de desired phase value

wPhase = -(wTime%wStepCount) * wStep;

[wPhase]

It may not behave as it originally behaves, but that's one way to make it work for the whole comp time span.

Hope this helps.

• 17. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                                          neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem is still there in CS5, and AE CS5.

I have it here, where the required setting is a speed of 0.1, pinned all, height of 20, width of 100.

Stops completely at 21:19 (that's minutes & seconds, not frames)

So it has apparently got better, but is still broken.

What do I need to tweak to get what I need here please?

EDIT.

Phase makes no difference at all to this.

• 18. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                                            DG. David Escalante Level 1

The problem still exists in Adobe CC 2015, I can't believe Adobe can't fix bugs since 2009.

• 19. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                                              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not discounting the bug but I am trying to imagine what it would be like to sit through 21 minutes of one shot with wave warp applied. Try doing what Alfred Hitchcock did in Rope, hide the cuts by clever editing.

It actually does not surprise me that count up calculations run out of room sometime. It is probably better because AE is now 64 bit. What happens if you add a keyframe? What happens if you butt up two adjustment layers?

I don't think I've ever made a single After Effects composition that was longer than about 30 seconds. Most are 7 seconds or less because I do not edit in AE, I make shots that can't easily be made in other apps. My last 3 projects included a made for TV movie with about a hundred and fifty effects shots, A series pilot with a half dozen effects shots, and a 10 minute safety training video with only about 4 or 5 shots that were not composited in AE. The last movie I ever saw with one shot that was longer than a few a minute or so was by Andy Warhol. I left after a couple of minutes because as hard as I tried I could not find anything interesting about the film.

• 20. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                                                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

DG. David Escalante wrote:

The problem still exists in Adobe CC 2015, I can't believe Adobe can't fix bugs since 2009.

They have fixed many bugs since 2009, but the After Effects team is a surprisingly small team. As such, they can't fix every single thing (which is unfortunate), so they prioritize. If a bug is very complicated to fix, only effects a very small number of users, and there are workarounds in place, they are unlikely to put it at the top of their priority list if you see what I'm saying. If you would like to see it bumped up the list, file a bug report. The more of those they get, the higher up the priority list a bug goes.

• 21. Re: Wave Warp stops moving
                                                  hermannholmtoft Level 1

I've found an solution! (On premier pro CC 2017 though) I was having the exact same problem when I was making a music video where I wanted wave warp throughout the whole video (not a legit music vid, but a "trap nation" ish vid). The waves was stopping on about 2.09 (minutes and seconds) when the music etc was stopping at 2.49 with wave height on 10, length on 40 and speed on 1.0. And since it then seemed to last longer if I decreased the speed I thought that it might work if I stretch the clip/layer. Which works! (If you are a total noob like me you choose the Rate Stretch Tool (R), which you can find smudged between your work area and project/file area. Then you stretch the clip/layer as far as you need it to go for the waves to last throughout the video!) And when you are done you can clip that part out when you render it. I hope my answer/solution was helpful!