6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2009 7:39 AM by Mylenium

PS Vanishing Point in AE

tryptych
      I am trying to align a camera to a still plate of a building taken with perspective. After much fiddling I discovered the Photoshop's Vanishing Point plugin, and it's ability to export to AE. However, what it does is create a default camera (square on), and aligns the 3D layers to it. Is it possible to do the opposite? (i.e. The 3D layers remain default, and the camera is realigned/rotated to line up with them).

I suspect someone will tell me I only need to switch coordinates somewhere, but I find all this XYZ stuff a bit baffling at the best of times(!)
      Any suggestions, anyone?

Rob
        • 1. Re: PS Vanishing Point in AE
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          No, that is still reserved for specialty apps like Photomatch, Photomodeler and so on. And simply reversing the camera would not necessarily work. When VPE bakes its data, it also adds ever so slight distortion to the texture, which looks *arf* when viewed from different angles. In a way it's really an oxymoron - getting one kinda precludes the other, so you will have to work your way around the limitation somehow. Maybe they can provide a smarter way in CS5...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: PS Vanishing Point in AE
            David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
            I think you could use SynthEyes to match a camera to a photo and export a camera to AE. Dunno if that'd help you.
            • 3. Re: PS Vanishing Point in AE
              tryptych Level 1
              I already use Boujou and Mocha, but both require a moving image to be able to determine Z-depth. I used Realviz Image Modeller a few years back, but it was a nightmare to use. I may have a look at other options. Thanks
              Rob
              • 4. Re: PS Vanishing Point in AE
                David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
                This is what I was thinking of. http://www.ssontech.com/content/aligner.htm
                • 5. Re: PS Vanishing Point in AE
                  tryptych Level 1
                  Well I had a bash with a friends SynthEyes, and it looked very promising. I got the whole thing mapped, the camera determined, and the 3D space working.

However, exporting to AE was a nightmare, and the Maya script (.ma file) used to import camera data came back with camera coordinates of 0,0,0 every time. Seems like a great piece of software, but it's next to useless if I can't import it into AE in a usable form.

I've scoured the forums etc. for info, but they all refer to 3D motion tracking data, not single still images, and my only other hope was Boujou, but that won't even sniff at anything less than 2 frames long.

Very annoying, it appears to be a SynthEyes problem, not an AE one, and I cannot believe there is not a solution for such a simple problem.
                  • 6. Re: PS Vanishing Point in AE
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                    There is certainly a solution to the problem, but you quite well will have to dig into their Python Scripting to modify an existing exporter or create a custom one for your purposes. I'm sure if you ask nicely, you can find someone halfway versed in Python to look into the matter...

Mylenium