10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2009 1:42 AM by Mylenium

After Effects crashes trying to start

I just installed After Effects CS4 and it will not load. It crashes every time I try to start it. Some info:
      WinXp SP2, Matrox RT.X100, Video Card: Matrox Parhelia AGP 256MB, Dual Core 3.2 GHz w/ 4GB RAM. The machine already has CS2 Production Studio Premium (After Effects 7.0, PPro 2, CS2 etc..) installed previously and all that works fine. I merely wanted to add After Effects CS4 to take advantage of it's features.

The error gives no indication as to why it is crashing. I thought it might be an OpenGL issue so I removed the OpenGL plugin, but still no luck.
      I don't know what to do.
        • 1. Re: After Effects crashes trying to start
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >Matrox Parhelia AGP 256MB

Pixel Bender and MediaCore stil luse acceleration functions even if you remove the OpenGL plugin, so it's certainly frowning on your card. There's no way around it that I'm aware of, as these components cannot be disabled, so you will be stuck with the problem until you get a different graphics card. CS2/ AE7 didn't have these functions, so naturally it won't crash. I know it sucks, but you can find cheap NVidia cards on eBay, so I'd give it some thought...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: After Effects crashes trying to start
            Level 1
            Thank you for the very speedy reply.
            I was reading some troubleshooting and it says, "To determine if the problem is caused by OpenGL, remove the OpenGL plug-in and restart After Effects" so that and other things I have read make it sound as though After Effects can be run without OpenGL acceleration. Since the crash error says nothing about OpenGL, is there a chance the graphics card isn't the problem?
            I feel like an idiot buying this and it doesn't work. I did check on the Matrox forums prior to buying and they said it should work but now it seems I am stuck with either trying to sell After Effects CS4 (it's still unregistered/un-activated) or getting a different video card and risking causing other problems with an otherwise smooth running system.
            • 3. Re: After Effects crashes trying to start
              This may be a specific case of a combination of the graphics card, your RT.X100 and the Matrox CoDecs. I suppose you went with the Parhelia to ensure maximum compatibility to ensure maximum compatibility with the other Matrox stuff and now it's biting you in your behind. I really do think that it's an issue with either Pixel Bender probing the card and not "exiting gracefully" when it finds it incompatible or MediaCore trying to manage your Matrox CoDecs when it isn't supposed to... If you are feeling adventurous, you could try to re-install the system without the video hardware and CoDecs, just the Parhelia and see how AE CS4 behaves, but of course that's just as undesirable. You could also try creating different hardware profiles (via your device manager), but usually, once a system is "polluted" with offending components, this does not bring the desired betterment...

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: After Effects crashes trying to start
                Hey Folks,

Can you point me to where you saw the troubleshooting
                i"To determine if the problem is caused by OpenGL, remove the OpenGL plug-in and restart After Effects"?

It's no longer accurate. The real way to mostly disable it is by removing sniffer.exe, but we still have a few small things that try and initialize even with this removed. We are actively working on making this more bulletproof.

Also, please make sure you have the latest driver from your display card manufacturer.

--c
                • 5. Re: After Effects crashes trying to start
                  Level 1
                  Yes, I bought the Parhelia and RT.X100 at the same time, trying to maximize compatibility for a smooth running system, but as mentioned above, perhaps the Parhelia is part of or all the problem. It appears AEFX CS4 can run with a non-OpenGL card due to some of what I have read, but I don't know. I appreciate all the advice thus far. I don't know what to do next. I don't really have time to reinstall everything without the video hardware and codecs.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405948&sliceId=1

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405948
                  • 6. Re: After Effects crashes trying to start
                    Level 1
                    It appears to be related to the Parhelia driver, as I downloaded a newer one and After Effects CS4 did start. Problem is now I lost my 2nd monitor so it appears I downloaded the wrong driver and Matrox Powerdesk software so I am going to get back in touch with Matrox to figure out which one I need to make it work.
                    Good news is it seems as though this may work out afterall. Thank you for the help, everyone.
                    • 7. Re: After Effects crashes trying to start
                      Ah, glad to hear. Let us know what comes of it...

Mylenium
                      • 8. Re: After Effects crashes trying to start
                        shooternz Level 6
                        @ Christopher Prosser

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405948&sliceId=1

Quote:
                        4. Remove the OpenGL plug-in from the After Effects plug-ins folder.
                        To determine if the problem is caused by OpenGL, remove the OpenGL plug-in and restart After Effects.

To remove the OpenGL plug-in:

Quit After Effects.
                        Mac OS: Drag the AE_OpenGL.plugin file from the Applications/Adobe After Effects CS4/Plug-ins/Extensions folder to the desktop.
                        Windows: Drag the AE_OpenGL.AEX file from the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS4\Support Files\Plug-ins\Extensions folder to the desktop.
                        Restart After Effects.

I am also having an issue with AEFX "crashing on exiting".

See Post
                        • 9. Re: After Effects crashes trying to start
                          Level 1
                          Matrox directed me to the correct driver and everything seems to be working fine now. I downloaded the CS4 9.0.1 update also. Afterwords it did crash once upon exiting, but other than that seems fine. I went ahead and left the OpenGL plugin removed.
                          It appears Production Premium CS2 and After Effects CS4 can happily co-exist on a Matrox RT.X100 system.

Thank you all for your help.
                          • 10. Re: After Effects crashes trying to start
                            Nice. Kinda had a feeling it was more Matrox' turf to fix it... ;-)

Mylenium