7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2009 7:15 PM by Eric1138

Adobe After Effect > Adobe Premiere Workflow

Hi all....I am very confused with how to get a steady and clear workflow between after effects and premiere in cs4.

I've made my edit in premiere and its on one time line as little clips.
      I've tried copying and pasting the clip into AE which works, I apply the effects (like colour balance etc) paste back into Pr....and it doesn't paste properly, theres a large white square where the effect should be, almost like premiere doesn't know the layers of AE.

Then I tried dynamic link which actually works.....until I reopened the premiere file today and the 2 clips I'd applied effects to where red with a message saying 'media offline'
      The project>link option is faded out by the way!

I have to open AE open the file where I did the effects, and then go back to premiere and goto file>adobe dynamic link>import after effects composition....and then select my file to retrieve the clips and get rid of the message.
      So then I save reopen and same problem.....there has to be a way of keeping the editied clips in premiere??????????

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Arvind!
        • 1. Re: Adobe After Effect > Adobe Premiere Workflow
          craulmedia Level 1
          wait till CS5!
          it will simply blow away anything else you ever could imaginate.

hopefully there'll still be left room for your own imagination = creation...
          • 2. Re: Adobe After Effect > Adobe Premiere Workflow
            Level 1
            Arvind, what versions of PPro and AE are you using?
            • 3. Re: Adobe After Effect > Adobe Premiere Workflow
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              Missing clips: AE projects and PPro project need to be in the same root folder. For some reason, some links are always relative and naturally they will go missing, if stored in other directories. As for the missing effects - normal behavior. Only a limited number of effects is available in both programs, which includes some fades and transitions and a few basic color correction tools. You will have to render the clips in AE or use DynamicLink, if you want to see the proper result in PPro. And yeah, make sure to always use the same version level. Using an older version of one program wit ha newer version of the other can have nasty side effects.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Adobe After Effect > Adobe Premiere Workflow
                Level 1
                Thanks for the help guys, the import into AE do the effects abd import back into Pr method, seems to work ok!
                I guess your just meant to all the effects you need before exporting back to Pr to make the final adjustments!
                Although, my cross disolves dont seem to work when I re-import the sequence from AE into Pr.
                I end up making a slice in the time line, putting the clip onto another video track and overlapping slightly to make the cross disolve work.....dip to black and additive disolve work just fine.
                Only a small problem with an easy enough work around though!

Thanks again

Arvind!
                • 5. Re: Adobe After Effect > Adobe Premiere Workflow
                  Navarro Parker Level 3
                  Looking over at the Premiere CS4 forums, it doesn't seem like PP is quite ready for prime time. Dynamic Link seems broken except for the simplest of projects. :(
                  • 6. Re: Adobe After Effect > Adobe Premiere Workflow
                    craulmedia Level 1
                    thats what i were pretending since dynamic link came up.
                    3 weeks ago i visited an Adobe Workshop in Germany, man i tell you no jokes. as it came to show dynamic linking things started to get messed up in the middle of the presentation, then the tutor tried to break it up and switched to Flash Server wokflow, uploading and linking all the stuff together was just a mess. i've grabbed my jacket an left.

The core is somehow working, but the workarounds are still unacceptable if you mention that Adobe pretends that it works flawlessly - but it's not and you're whacked when you're in the middle of a huge project as i was into that nightmare a while ago.

i've sold brand new master collection because of a rant with adobe customer service (how they call it?) and the only two things i bought again was Ae and Ps, working with it - in the oldskool way.
                    • 7. Re: Adobe After Effect > Adobe Premiere Workflow
                      Level 1
                      i "Looking over at the Premiere CS4 forums, it doesn't seem like PP is quite ready for prime time. Dynamic Link seems broken except for the simplest of projects."

I wouldn't say that's entirely true. Without a doubt, some users are having issues. However, many of us are not. I've done some complex projects in PPro CS4 using DL for lots of green screen work, animated graphics, text animation, etc., and I've had very few (if any) problems. There are a few things I'd like to see improved, but overall it's working as advertised for me.