4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2009 5:15 AM by Todd_Kopriva

How do I use Pixel Bender effects?

Navarro Parker Level 3
      So I've installed the Pixel Bender Toolkit. How do I use .pbk effects in After Effects CS4?
        • 1. Re: How do I use Pixel Bender effects?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Simply copy them in AE's plug-in directory, then launch the app. Be aware, though, that some of them may cause crashes due to not being adapted to the specifics of AE.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: How do I use Pixel Bender effects?
            Navarro Parker Level 3
            So I copy the Pixel Bender files folder (full of .pbk files) from Adobe Utilities into my AE CS4 plug-ins folder. Now how do I invoke them from within AE? I don't see Pixel Bender in my Effects menu.
            • 3. Re: How do I use Pixel Bender effects?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              Pixel Bender filters will appear as native AE effects in the Effects menu - if and when they have been prepared to be usable with AE, which most of them simply aren't. They need to have the proper IDs and color type, so usually some adapting is required. anyway, this is too specific and while I have been dabbling with some basic modification of existing code, I'm not really doing any of this PB stuff. So ask on the PB and Flash forums. There are some quite amazing people who have done rather complex stuff and Kevin Goldsmith is also regularly around in these forums, Adobe labs and also posts useful info on his blog...

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: How do I use Pixel Bender effects?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                Mylenium is right. You work with effect plug-ins written with Pixel Bender the same way that you work with effect plug-ins written in C/C++. All of the information that you need should be in the "Plug-ins" section of After Effects Help. In the comments of that section, there are some links to Tom Beddard's site, where he has some great examples of Pixel Bender effect plug-ins. Tom gives detailed instructions about installing his Pixel Bender effect plug-ins, if you really want to see it laid out step by step.