6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 11:51 PM by mr-chop

frame duration for stop frame animation

mr-chop
      Im trying to make a stop frame animation. Ive trying bringing in the stills as a move sequence and exporting it. now I want to adjust the speed and when I try this in fcp it get ghosting. is there a way to import stills as a move sequence where one still = 4 frames?
        • 1. Re: frame duration for stop frame animation
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          When you import a sequence of still images, it assumes the frame rate specified by the Sequence Footage preference in the Import category. The default rate is 30 frames per second (fps). You can change the frame rate after importing by reinterpreting the footage item:

Select the sequence in the Project panel, choose File > Interpret Footage > Main, and then enter a new value for Assume This Frame Rate.

See the "Change the frame rate of a sequence" section of After Effects Help.
          • 2. Re: frame duration for stop frame animation
            mr-chop Level 1
            thanks for the reply its sorted now.
            is it possible to set the duflt frame rate to 25fps? I assumed it imported at this as my comp is 25fps! or is this somthing I have to manually do for every clip?
            • 3. Re: frame duration for stop frame animation
              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
              Two ways to go about it. You can import as a movie and timeremap it (use HOLD keyframes).

Or you can import the stills not as a sequence, Set the clip outpoints to the duration you want ( alt ] trims to outpoint). Then select them in order and keyframe asst/sequence layers.
              • 4. Re: frame duration for stop frame animation
                David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
                I REALLY wish you could change the footage properties for multiple items. It would save SO much time...

As for my previous comment. Importing as movie is cleaner in the timeline, since there's only 1 layer. It takes a bit of time to setup all the keyframes initially, but it's easier to adjust timing later on. There's a nice trick of using the Wiggler to set keyframes on all the frames for timeremap (set Freq to fps, magnitude to 0). Then you just need to HOLD them and space them out.

Importing the stills individually is probably easier to setup initially, but has A LOT more layers and might be harder to modify later on. It's definately possible to adjust, just a little more cumbersome.
                • 5. Re: frame duration for stop frame animation
                  craulmedia Level 1
                  b David Wigforss - 10:21am Mar 16, 09 PST (#4 of 5)
                  I REALLY wish you could change the footage properties for multiple items. It would save SO much time..

- Lloyd Alvarez wrote:
                  Set the Interpret Footage option for the 1 clip.
                  Then Select Remember Interpretation. (it's in the same menu as Interpret Footage)
                  Select all the other clips
                  Select Apply Interpretation (again in the same menu)

-Lloyd

and again Mr. Alvarez

This should do what you want, add it as an expression to Time Remap.

nthFrame = 3;

fps = (1.0/thisComp.frameDuration) / nthFrame;
                  posterizeTime (fps);
                  value
                  • 6. Re: frame duration for stop frame animation
                    mr-chop Level 1
                    david/thomas thanks for the info. i feel Im a bit out my depth! Ill have to look up tine remap and the wriggler! and expressions!.