4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2009 3:08 AM by (Mark_Weiss)

Particles "white pixel" Bug

Level 1
      I discovered that when using Particle Playground, with the particle type set to faded sphere, and the color of the particle set in the purple/violet hue range, that a ring of white pixels dust appears around the circumference of each particle. If I change the particle color to green or orange or something outside the violet range, the artifact vanishes.
      This is in CS3, and it appears during both preview and render to RAM.
        • 1. Re: Particles "white pixel" Bug
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          You are running in 32bpc mode, are you? If so, than these are artifacts from using non-HDR effects in HDR comps. Apply a Compander or Color Profile Converter to avoid them. Technically the disturbances are certainly also there with the other colors, but the blending makes them disappear...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Particles "white pixel" Bug
            Level 1
            The pure white pixels are abruptly-gone when the hue is rotated away from the violet range, so I don't think it's an HDR issue. Also, I noticed on the larger particles passing closer to the 'camera' that the white pixels form a complete circle, which gets cropped off as the 'bubble' (what the white pixel outline looks like) passes about 1/4 of the preview window width to the right. The left 1/4 of the window shows this artifact--the rest does not. I also confirmed that this does not show up on rendered images.
            • 3. Re: Particles "white pixel" Bug
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              Well, then it's definitely OpenGL, I'd say. such artifacts being exclusive to a part of the comp almost always point to breakups in the hardware comp buffer. What graphics card do you have? Can you also provide a screenshot of the mishap in action?

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Particles "white pixel" Bug
                Level 1
                nVidia GeForce 8800GTS on the affected machine.

While the machine attempted to go on standby last night, some error occured and I had to force reset it this morning. As of now, the problem SEEMS to have cleared up. Maybe some corrupt video memory from that session that was not cleared by simply restarting Ae.