4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2009 1:54 AM by Mylenium

AE stuttering render of AVCHD video

(Daniel_Butterfield) Level 1
      I have the CS4 Master Collection. I've used AE before with regular SD video, but was trying to use it for the first time to add some titles to a short home video in high definition. The camera used is a Canon HG10, a hard disk based camcorder that records AVCHD format in an MTS file.

Basically, I got extreme stutters or start/stop jumpiness in the render process when using AVCHD HD footage and trying to render the result out as MPEG2. Here is a link to a sample MPG output file, you can see the stutters start about 15 seconds in, right as the video is zooming out. I rapidly canceled the render after that, since I had seen it fail multiple times before.

Link: http://www.butterfields.net/AECS4Problem.mpg

I have not experienced this kind of problem in AE before, and since this was my first use of AVCHD video, and the composition itself was so simple, I suspected it could be the problem. I found another thread on this forum which indicated a similar problem, but did not give any kind of solution.

I guess I can get a 3rd party decoder for the AVCHD video and convert it to an uncompressed format before using it in AE, but this seems like overkill for a high end program that supports AVCHD natively. Thanks for any kind of support!
        • 1. Re: AE stuttering render of AVCHD video
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Well, AVCHD is not AVCHD, unfortunately. Specific vendors use different assignments of streams, different meta info, different audio handling... I know it sounds lame, but for the time being, converting externally seems the only way to do this reliably. If you can, it would be nice to see a source clip directly from the camera to see what's going on and do some testing. I'm sure the devs will also be glad about any snippet they can get their hands on to implement new handling routines/ profiles for CS5...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: AE stuttering render of AVCHD video
            (Daniel_Butterfield) Level 1
            Thanks for your response. I'll put some source and result examples online for people to see. In the meantime, what's the simplest (and cheapest) way to convert an MTS container AVCHD to a lossless format (presumably in an AVI container)? Without changing frame rate, resolution, etc.

There are a million video conversion utilities on the market... I've used some from Xilisoft and Replay Media. They all seem to be oriented towards SD video or worse, mobile device video. The Xilisoft converter does HD fine, but I have not gotten it to work properly with HD and the lossless codecs it claims to support (ljpeg, huffyuv, and "rawvideo" - the first two give errors, and the last produces a black video).

Any ideas on an AVCHD -> lossless AVI converter? Even a command line one?
            • 3. Re: AE stuttering render of AVCHD video
              craulmedia Level 1
              AVCHD is a fried Duck.

You can google exactly for that word "AVCHD Converter" and find reasonalbe software that fits you needs.
              Don't know who invented AVCHD but this guy opened a huge temporary market for converters on both Mac and Windows platforms.

Wanna work the professional way without the flaws? Buy professional camcorders, at least those who serve you with an open format.
              I still prefer Tapes. Why? Still a good way to archive footage, capture in low res, edit and then re-batch for onlining. it wasn't different int the last two or three decades and A LOT of media content has been created that way.
              All these non-propietary tapeless (prosumer) formats are made for the quick buck without giving a damn how do edit that crap.
              • 4. Re: AE stuttering render of AVCHD video
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                As Thomas said, you can find countless tools and most likely you have one on the CD that came with your camera. For quick transcodes to plain MPEG-4 files, SUPER© and TMPEG will do. They basically just strip away the "garbage" and fix open GOPs and other inconsistencies, which should result in more compatible files you can use inside AE.

Mylenium