7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2009 3:17 PM by Andrew Yoole

adding effect behind my 3D logo

How do I add a light sweep effect behind a logo that I made 3D using multiple copies of my comp and changing the depth on the position settings? I tried using a solid layer, but the layer takes the characteristics of my 3D comp and I loose the 3D effect on my logo.
        • 1. Re: adding effect behind my 3D logo
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Pre-compose? You will loose your 3D-ishness eventually one way or the other, that's inevitable, you just have to decide when and how gives the most acceptable result...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: adding effect behind my 3D logo
            Level 1
            This is how I am set up. I have comp 1 with my main logo and then all of my solid layers for my effects as well as my audio. In comp 2 I have my duplicated layers of the logo for the 3D and then the camera. Should I set up another comp to put the solid layers on so that they are separate from the logo itself?
            • 3. Re: adding effect behind my 3D logo
              Level 1
              There's almost always some kind of a work around but your description of your comp isn't enough for me to figure one out. If I could see the comp, even without footage, I could probably figure out what needs to be done.

A more in depth description of your composition including plug-ins used would also help.
              • 4. Re: adding effect behind my 3D logo
                I can't quite picture your setup, but it seems to be okay. Indeed you should pre-compose your second comp to be a nested 2D comp in yet another comp and then apply the effect. What you are looking for is basically merely a 2D stacking issue that can be resolved that way. You may just need multiple instances to sort out matting issues...

Mylenium
                • 5. Re: adding effect behind my 3D logo
                  Level 1
                  Here is my screen. I have also tried to take my logo out of photoshop into Illustrator and then copy and paste it into AE like the one tutorial shows using the shape extruder, but I can't get Illustrator to show the paths. I keep getting a white box around my logo. I can't seem to send you a screen shot on here. If you can email me, I will send it to you later today. aeagle1@comcast.net
                  • 6. Re: adding effect behind my 3D logo
                    Upload it to imageshack, pixentral or flickr. Regardless of this, you can send it to mylenium<|>at<|>mylenium<|>dot<|>de. As for your Illustrator problem - make sure to release any clipping masks and compound paths and insert them separately. AE can only swallow given combinations (a limitation based on how it treats masks and shape paths as separate items).

Mylenium
                    • 7. Re: adding effect behind my 3D logo
                      Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                      It sounds like you've merely imported a pixel based image into Illustrator. If so, there actually aren't any paths. You'll need to trace the logo manually with the Pen tool, or use the autotrace feature, to generate paths.

I don't know if using a vector object/shape will resolve your issue, so I wouldn't spend too much time on the conversion.