4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2009 6:54 AM by fredou_79

Render OMF in AE CS3 or CS4 from a Premiere project file ???

fredou_79 Level 1
      I've read in After Effects CS3 Render options that you can render out to OMF.

Can you render out to OMF in AE CS3 or CS4 from a Premiere Pro project file ?

The Premiere Pro project file is in CS4.

I know there's an OMF exported in PP4, but it's not working properly and no one has a solution to offer in time. That's why I'm trying AE among other things.
        • 1. Re: Render OMF in AE CS3 or CS4 from a Premiere project file ???
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Not sure what you need. All Adobe tools only create the older OMF 1.0/1.1 formats (restricted to standard PAL/ NTSC frame rates and resolutions), as beyond that Avid and Autodesk pretty much cobbled together their own variations and they are undocumented. If that doesn't work for your needs, I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere. AE does support saving to OMF, though, but the routines certainly aren't much different from what you have in Premiere, so you may encounter the same issues.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Render OMF in AE CS3 or CS4 from a Premiere project file ???
            fredou_79 Level 1
            Well I'll try, my project is sound only 29.97 fps so it should work.

I've encounter export problem in Premiere which I did not in AE for same stuff.

Thank you.
            • 3. Re: Render OMF in AE CS3 or CS4 from a Premiere project file ???
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
              Mmmm. I think I understand what you mean.
              You seem to be talking about the OMF exchange format that is frequently used for taking audio edits from editing software to a DAW application like Pro Tools, right?
              If so, good news. The 4.01 update for Premiere Pro CS4 added the ability to export such exchange files.

Here's the section on OMF export in Premiere Pro help:
              http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WSEAE1A4D0-C089-439a-B2E5-0FA42F018544.html

Sorry about the length of the link. I am working on that.

On the other hand, there's different kind of OMF file, called "OMF essence". This is a proprietary video file format used by Avid systems on capture or ingest. The OMF format option in AE's Render Queue allows you to export such video files (Windows only).

Here's the After Effects help section on rendering to OMF:
              http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f2dff7-79b9a.htm l

Again, sorry about the 8 mile long link :)

Adolfo Rozenfeld - Adobe