5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2008 5:30 PM by Andrew Yoole

Covering portions of moving image

Can anyone tell me the simplest method by which I can cover over areas of a video image? I have a 1 minute long animated piece that is in .AVI format in Premiere Pro 2.0. It involves a number of characters that have pit-crew like uniforms with many logos on them. I need to cover over these logos in a way that leaves the color of their uniforms intact. While I am fairly proficient with PPro 2.0 I'm a real newbie in the AE world so please be as detailed as possible with any response, and thank you very much in advance! ;)
        • 1. Re: Covering portions of moving image
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          There's nothing simple about it. You have to rotoscope it out frame by frame. You use either paint tools or masks, but that doesn't change the fact that it's gonna take time. In fact probably more time than finishing the rest of the project. This will be further compounded by the fact that you speak of "many logos", which will turn this into a major nightmare if you indeed plan on retaining the color and structure of the jumpsuits. IMO you'd be much better off by outsourcing this to an experienced roto-artist (not necessarily AE) or external facility or otherwise you'll just end up with grinding teeth... 1 minute is a lot of footage for this kind of work.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Covering portions of moving image
            Level 1
            Thank you so much for your help Mylenium. I had read about rotoscopes last night around midnight and was just getting started with the very tedious process this morning. I wish that I could indeed outsource this but the budget just doesn't allow for that. One other question I need help is how to create masks to cover some of the logos. When I select "new mask" and then create a rectangle or elipse I immediately get a completely black screen with a "window" through the shape I created. Then, if I select "inverse" I get a black shape and the rest of the screen comes into view. I need a few things to happen here; I need to be able to fill the desired shape with a background color and I also need to manipulate these shapes since they are rarely, if ever, perfect rectangles, circles or elipses. Thanks again for your, and/or anyone elses, assistance!
            • 3. Re: Covering portions of moving image
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              Use colored solids on top of your footage instead of operating on the footage itself. When creating new solids, use the eyedropper to sample the original colors. You can freely move around any mask point at any time, so there is no need to worry about the initial shapes. Just the same you cann add extra control points using the pen tool. Make sure to turn on the mask shape stopwatches to store the animation as you work your way through the clip and move the masks around.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Covering portions of moving image
                Level 1
                Mylenium - I know that it's been awhile since you posted this but I just now came across it again. I just can't seem to figure out how to get any masks,or colored solids to work. When I attempt to place one I either get a tiny "window" through which I can see the underlying layer and the rest of the screen is black. Or, if I choose "invert", then I get a small black shape with the remainder of the screen in view. I'd love to be able to do what you've described but I'm going to need some assistance getting to that point...any more pointers for this newbie?
                • 5. Re: Covering portions of moving image
                  Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                  Place your footage in the timeline. Create a solid layer above the footage, set to the appropriate fill colour. Draw the mask on the solid layer, not on the footage layer. (You can temporarily turn off the visibility of the solid so you can see the underlying footage).