7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2008 6:36 AM by Navarro Parker

How to Export in 60fps for 29.97 NTSC

I made some animation in after effects where there is a lot of fast movement. Now when i export it in 29.97 fps it jerks in places where the movement is very fast.

I tried changing the composition settings to 60fps and exported it in NTSC 29.97 fps and the jerks were still evident. When i changed the export setting to 60fps then the animation became very smooth.

I wanted to know how i can keep the animation smooth, but which is playable on NTSC 29.97 tv screens.

(I have noticed animation on many channels where there is a lot of fast movements, but there are no jerks. how can I achieve this?)

Thank in advance
        • 1. Re: How to Export in 60fps for 29.97 NTSC
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Fields? Motion blur? sounds you are either not using those or using them incorrectly. Also make sure to interpret your source footage correctly to prevent - erm - jerking. ;-)

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: How to Export in 60fps for 29.97 NTSC
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            Are you rendering with fields? Fields effectively double the temporal information in your file, so displaying an interlaced NTSC 29.97fps clip on an interlaced monitor is equivalent to doubling the frame rate on a non-interlaced monitor.
            • 3. Re: How to Export in 60fps for 29.97 NTSC
              Level 1
              i am not using any fields. I tried exporting in quicktime mpeg-4 or wmv and both jerk.

I don't want to use motion blur because the animation has text and want it to be clear.

I am viewing it on my monitor and the output will be aired as well as available online. so it needs to work on both.
              • 4. Re: How to Export in 60fps for 29.97 NTSC
                >I am viewing it on my monitor and the output will be aired as well as
                >available online. so it needs to work on both.

That's somewhat of a contradiction. Fields will always look jerky on the computer whereas the same is true for progressively encoded stuff on normal TV screens that expect fields... In short: you need two separate renders each with their individual settings. And though you seem to think otherwise, motionblur will actually make the animation look more eye-friendly on TV. If it's too strong, simply reduce the shutter angle. Other than that you can only blame your hardware. Either your discs or the processor are not fast enough to decode the video file or your graphics card is underpowered to handle the required data rates and refresh cycle. Especially the latter can be a killer on an otehrwise powerful system. So check whether you are using hardware acceleration for playback and if al lsettings are correct. Reduce the data rates of the preview files if necessary to circumvent the other issues.

Mylenium
                • 5. Re: How to Export in 60fps for 29.97 NTSC
                  Level 1
                  My hardware should be ok.

I have a 4200 Dual Core
                  With 2GB RAM
                  and 256 MB Geforce 7900 GS

I tried motion blur, but it still has jerks.. and those jerks are usually random through the animation where fast movements take place. So is this just a playback problem from my system?
                  • 6. Re: How to Export in 60fps for 29.97 NTSC
                    If they are random, then they would be compression issues, either when encoding or decoding the streams. Indeed your system seems decent enough, though one never knows... Are there any processes running that may consume additional resources? E.g. a virus scanner can slowdown playback considerably when it's not configured to exclude certain file types and thus interferes. I would also make sure to defragment your disk. It's possible it's so heavily fragmented that the lookup when playing the file takes too long 'cos your reader heads need to jump all over the place to find the sectors. This could also be a problem for compression as it might introduce damaged sections in the stream.

Mylenium
                    • 7. Re: How to Export in 60fps for 29.97 NTSC
                      Navarro Parker Level 3
                      If I know I'm using a graphic element in another NLE project, I almost always render at 60p/rgba. I let the NLE render handle the field rendering issues. It allows more flexibility for progressive or interlaced DV or D1 resolutions.

Also if you are rendering to an lossless format (like Quicktime Animation), very few systems can play that back at realtime. I have an 8-Core with RAID and I still get hiccups trying to view 720p Animation Quicktimes. But of course, they render and playback fine once the NLE compresses it down to your working format.