15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2008 12:41 AM by Mylenium

Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.

Nancy Gill Level 1
      I have to animate text and have finally gotten that process down .. but one
      problem left. The original text is made in Photoshop CS3 with shadow,
      bevel/emboss effects on it. When I make the text editable in AE so I can
      animate it, the Photoshop effects disappear.

Is there any way to retain the drop shadow and bevel/emboss and still make
      text editable so it can be animated in AE?

Thanks!
      Nancy
        • 1. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          If you import your PSD as a composition, rather than as a footage item, it should retain all the Layer Styles applied in Photoshop.
          • 2. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
            Nancy Gill Level 1
            I did that.  The Photoshop effects were intact until I made the text <br />editable in After Effects so it could be animated.  Then they all <br />disappeared.<br /><br />Is this a bug?  Or did I do something wrong?  Or is there no way to animate <br />the text and keep the Photoshop effects too?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Nancy<br /><br /><Andrew_Yoole@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3c06166c.0@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> If you import your PSD as a composition, rather than as a footage item, it <br />> should retain all the Layer Styles applied in Photoshop.
            • 3. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
              Navarro Parker Level 3
              Are you using CS3? Only CS3 preserves PS Layer Styles.
              • 4. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
                Nancy Gill Level 1
                Yes, I am.  I must be doing something wrong.  I'm just learning AfterEffects <br />but I can't believe that making the text editable for animation would take <br />away the text shadow and embossing .. but it does .. as soon as I make it <br />editable, I can see the effects go away.<br /><br />Any thoughts as to what that may be?<br /><br />Thanks again!<br />Nancy<br /><br /><Navarro_Parker@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3c06166c.2@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Are you using CS3? Only CS3 preserves PS Layer Styles.
                • 5. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
                  (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
                  Just to be sure, Navarro was wondering if you were using AE CS3, not photoshop CS3. If you understood that, then nevermind.
                  • 6. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
                    Nancy Gill Level 1
                    Yes, AE CS3.  I have the Master Collection.   :)<br /><br />Nancy<br /><br /><Steve_Patterson@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3c06166c.4@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Just to be sure, Navarro was wondering if you were using AE CS3, not <br />> photoshop CS3. If you understood that, then nevermind.
                    • 7. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
                      Navarro Parker Level 3
                      Master Collection! Ooo, smell you! I'm jealous! :)

So when you use Convert to Editable Text, AE is converting it to live text (the layer icon turns into a "T")? The effects shouldn't get stripped off.

Okay, I think I got it. Are you importing your PSD as a comp or footage? If a comp, there are two choices it should be asking you.

Layer Options:
                      [] Editable Layer Styles
                      [] Merge Layer Styles into Footage.

Make sure you pick the first one.
                      • 8. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
                        Nancy Gill Level 1
                        > So when you use Convert to Editable Text, AE is converting it to live text
                        > (the layer icon turns into a "T")? The effects shouldn't get stripped off.

That's correct.
                        >
                        > Okay, I think I got it. Are you importing your PSD as a comp or footage?
                        > If a comp, there are two choices it should be asking you.

A comp.
                        >
                        > Layer Options:
                        > [] Editable Layer Styles
                        > [] Merge Layer Styles into Footage.

> Make sure you pick the first one.

Yes, the first one. But as soon as I convert it to Editable Text, I can
                        actually see the PS effects disappear. My next try is to create a new
                        Photoshop file from AE .. I see that option now .. perhaps that will have
                        better results than making the file in PS first.

Thanks!
                        Nancy
                        • 9. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
                          Nancy Gill Level 1
                          Okay .. here is the dilemma.

I have an AE project and it is linked to a Premiere Video project via
                          Dynamic Link. The background of the AE part is a jpg of the last video
                          frame. The AE timeline is about 10 frames.

What I want is for the text created in Photoshop to animate with a scale up
                          and animate. So I import my Photoshop file which is text with a dropshadow
                          and bevel and emboss and contour applied to it.

AE shows a composition and a folder below that, the folder containing the
                          PSD. If I drag the composition itself to the AE window, then I see the PS
                          file with all the effects applied, but Convert to Editable Text is greyed
                          out.

If I switch and drag the PSD from inside the folder to the AE window, then I
                          can now Convert to Editable Text, but the text no longer has my PS effects
                          applied to it .. it's just plain text.

I am importing it as a Composition (cropped) and keeping the layers
                          editable. It just doesn't seem to work. Unfortunately the video tutorials
                          that come with the program which show you about Editable Text start with the
                          file already imported into AE .. they don't go into this part of it.

Thanks,
                          Nancy
                          • 10. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
                            Nancy Gill Level 1
                            Never mind! I can't believe I have spent 2-3 days trying to get this to
                            work (off and on, of course) but you don't have to make Text Editable .. as
                            the tutorials told you you had to do. Import the PS file .. drag the
                            composition itself to the AE window .. and text animation options are
                            already there if you twirl down the Transform layer. Opacity .. Scale ..
                            it's already all there and the PS file with effects intact responds just
                            perfectly!

Why do they tell you you have to first "Make Text Editable"?? I swear ..
                            I'm going to right a new tutorial for this thing and get it published on
                            DevNet.

Am I the only one who didn't know this?

Thanks for everyone's help here.
                            Nancy
                            • 11. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
                              Hi Nancy,

While it sounds like you've achieved your objective - good news!- I'll point out a few things for future projects.

Your final solution means that you've dragged a Nested Composition into your main composition (meaning one composition inside another). The Transform parameters you see attached to that nested comp are NOT Text Editors, and effect the whole layer universally. That might be fine now, but it means you won't be able to change or edit individual text characters or lines. You also won't be able to edit your Photoshop Layer Styles (Drop Shadow, in your case).

When you import the PS document as a composition, AE creates a new composition with all the PS layers intact, positioned correctly and with Layer Styles applied. But they only exist INSIDE THE COMPOSITION - they're not attached to the layers that you can access in the Project window.

Try this to explain what I mean:

Open your project and import your PSD as a Composition.

Double-click on the new PSD composition in the footage window to open it. You should see your text layer with drop shadow applied. Select the layer and Copy.

Now go back to your main composition and choose Paste. The text layer should appear within your main comp, but still with layer styles etc. You can also choose "Convert To Editable Text" now, without affecting the Drop Shadow. Once the layer is a Text Layer you have much more control over it than just the standard Layer Transform settings.

The trick is to COPY the whole layer from the PSD comp, rather than drag the text layer from the footage window.
                              • 12. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
                                Nancy Gill Level 1
                                Thanks, Andrew .. I think I see what you mean and will try that.  If I <br />understand correctly, my importing the PSD as a composition means I only <br />imported the text and not the effects.  I did try importing as footage, but <br />that wasn't editable either.  I will follow your steps and see if I can get <br />this down.<br /><br />Many thanks!<br />Nancy<br /><br /><Andrew_Yoole@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3c06166c.10@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Hi Nancy,<br />><br />> While it sounds like you've achieved your objective - good news!- I'll <br />> point out a few things for future projects.<br />><br />> Your final solution means that you've dragged a Nested Composition into <br />> your main composition (meaning one composition inside another). The <br />> Transform parameters you see attached to that nested comp are NOT Text <br />> Editors, and effect the whole layer universally. That might be fine now, <br />> but it means you won't be able to change or edit individual text <br />> characters or lines. You also won't be able to edit your Photoshop Layer <br />> Styles (Drop Shadow, in your case).<br />><br />> When you import the PS document as a composition, AE creates a new <br />> composition with all the PS layers intact, positioned correctly and with <br />> Layer Styles applied. But they only exist INSIDE THE COMPOSITION - they're <br />> not attached to the layers that you can access in the Project window.<br />><br />> Try this to explain what I mean:<br />><br />> Open your project and import your PSD as a Composition.<br />><br />> Double-click on the new PSD composition in the footage window to open it. <br />> You should see your text layer with drop shadow applied. Select the layer <br />> and Copy.<br />><br />> Now go back to your main composition and choose Paste. The text layer <br />> should appear within your main comp, but still with layer styles etc. You <br />> can also choose "Convert To Editable Text" now, without affecting the Drop <br />> Shadow. Once the layer is a Text Layer you have much more control over it <br />> than just the standard Layer Transform settings.<br />><br />> The trick is to COPY the whole layer from the PSD comp, rather than drag <br />> the text layer from the footage window.
                                • 13. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
                                  > If I understand correctly, my importing the PSD as a composition means I only imported the text and not the effects.

Not quite. When you import as a composition you DO import the effects, but they only exist INSIDE the new composition. They're not attached to the PS footage item in the project window.
                                  • 14. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
                                    Nancy Gill Level 1
                                    > Not quite. When you import as a composition you DO import the effects, but
                                    > they only exist INSIDE the new composition. They're not attached to the PS
                                    > footage item in the project window.

So how do you import it? Importing as footage didn't work either .. and
                                    both people here and the tutorials said to import it as a composition.

Anyway .. I'll try the steps you outlined in your earlier post. Thanks
                                    again!

Nancy
                                    • 15. Re: Making Text Editable in AE loses the effects from Photoshop.
                                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                                      When importing PSDs with layer styles in CS3, you should be asked whether you want to import them as editable styles or "flattened". You import the document as a composition, preferably with the "crop to layer size" option. then you need to actually open up the imported PSD composition and from there should be able to copy&paste your layers into whatever other compositions you need with effects intact. Also be aware that you can apply layer styles natively in AE. Simply right-click on a layer in the timeline and select the styles you need from the menu.

Mylenium