12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2008 11:47 AM by (jwlane)

going from HD res to TV res

davegots
      I have a B&W line art drawing that I scanned in and animated in AE. The res of my project is 1920x1080, 30 fps. I want this for use in HD format, but I'd also like to be able to give it to someone who's using a regular TV. What's my best way to go from 1920 x 1080 to TV res (I suppose I want it to be 720x480?). Neither 720x480 or 640x480 are 16:9, so I don't know how to make this work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.
        • 1. Re: going from HD res to TV res
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >Neither 720x480 or 640x480 are 16:9

Wrong. 720x480 is the correct resolution for any NTSC DVD or DV footage,720x486 for plain TV, regardless whether it's 4:3 or 16:9. It all hinges on the pixel aspect ratio. Things should perfectly line up by simply nesting comps and fitting the footage.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: going from HD res to TV res
            davegots Level 1
            Thanks Mylenium,
            So if I take my 1920x1080 comp, bring it into a new comp that is 720x480, scale that footage down so it fits into action safe, comp that out as a movie, burn it as a DVD, it should work on any TV without any bad pixel juju?

I guess I'm just a little confused as to make it 720x480 or 720x486. Or if it even really matter since I'm taking my original 1920 comp, scaling it down uniformly and it will fit inside action safe of either.

Thanks again.

Dave
            • 3. Re: going from HD res to TV res
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              For DVD, 720x480 is the correct resolution. Since MPEG-II is based on block sizes of multiples of 32/16/8, there is no way to accommodate the extra 6 scanlines and thus they are ommited. You should not experience any problems in terms of resolution, but should be wary to not mix up the framerates when converting to MPEG-II.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: going from HD res to TV res
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                Just make sure you use AE's own NTSC DV Widescreen preset to create your comp, then place your HD footage into it and resize. If your HD material is interlaced, be sure it is interpreted correctly, and be sure to render with fields if you want to preserve the interlacing.
                • 5. Re: going from HD res to TV res
                  davegots Level 1
                  Thanks for the response guys. Since the original footage is one B & W still image scanned in and then animated, I shouldn't have to worry about interlacing at all, right?
                  • 6. Re: going from HD res to TV res
                    David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
                    Dave, I first render my animations to 24fps. Then I reimport that, and rerender it to 29.97 LFF.

First setup the 24fps render in the render queue, then drag the name 'Output Module' onto the project window - that creates a placeholder for it. Drag that back down to the render queue, and change it to 29.97 LFF.
                    • 7. Re: going from HD res to TV res
                      davegots Level 1
                      Thanks David,
                      My composition settings are already set to 30 fps and everything is animated that way. Will that make a difference if I render out at 24 fps? and then again at 29.97?

Thanks.
                      • 8. Re: going from HD res to TV res
                        Oh, sorry. I always work at 24fps and then later expand to 30... All our stuff is animated on 2s, so I hate working at 30 (2 frame hold, 3 frame hold, etc).

Not sure about your interlacing question earlier... If it's being output for TV, I think it should have fields in it..
                        • 9. Re: going from HD res to TV res
                          davegots Level 1
                          No problem. Thanks for the suggestions.
                          • 10. Re: going from HD res to TV res
                            David W.:

I'm working on an animation project where 24 fps shots are composited in AE, also at 24 fps. I've made a couple of tests burning this work strait to NTSC DVD without changing the frame rate, and as a field render LFF at 30 fps. In the field version I can see field artifacts and occasional strobing during DVD playback. AE defaulted to 30 instead of 29.97 fps, when I turned on field render. Is this difference my problem, or should I also work with the pulldown order - where the extra fields are duplicated? The non-field render is predictably jerky. I'm using more than one brand of DVD player and monitor for tests.

Thanks for any reply.
                            • 11. Re: going from HD res to TV res
                              I always rerender my stuff, so I don't have 'tweens where I don't want them. First render to 24 with no fields. Then rerender at 29.97 with fields.

What type of artifacts are you referring to?
                              • 12. Re: going from HD res to TV res
                                Level 1
                                The field artifacts are sawtooth edges on objects that are moving too slow to really need motion blur in a progressive render. If you care to see an example: http://animatedlane.com/content/view/19/38/

The 2nd shot in this quicktime movie shows a canoe bow in front of a dark background. The 24p files, when output as NTSC with 3:2 pulldown field render, make the smooth edges of the canoe gunwales look sawtoothed. And, the background strobes. Having to re-render every pre-built item will be a massive undertaking. If I have to re-render everything, I might as well go progressive with motion blur.

When I took another project from 29.97p to 25p PAL, I used AfterEffects to time warp the finished 29.97 project to the new 25 frame rate. There was only one shot that I re-rendered from scratch. With a lot of tweaking, this worked better than JES and some other 3rd party software approaches. In the past I've worked with 24p footage processed by a da Vinci telecine. Maybe that's to tough a standard to try for with AfterEffects.