4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2008 12:52 PM by David Wigforss-Hv1BNN

Looking for a rock solid video card - suggestions?

jimmy@access.se Level 1
      Hi! Time to build myself a new computer (windows) and I'm looking for a decent video card with stable open-GL drivers and that's fairly fast. What's your experience about this, is there a given choice that works well with CS3?

Regards / Jimmy
        • 1. Re: Looking for a rock solid video card - suggestions?
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
          Just start with the recommended and supported cards at the AE marketing site and then start searching for online reviews of the ones you think you can afford. It's a moving target, too, new cards come out about every 3 months and costs keep going UP instead of down. However, you're lucky to be looking for a PC card, the choices on the Mac side of the fence are really limited AFAICT.

"Rock solid" is not applicable to cards. It's your OS and AE that will do all the harm when they crash.

bogiesan
          • 2. Re: Looking for a rock solid video card - suggestions?
            David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
            What are you planning to use your card for? Just AE? 3D App as well? Games?

Last Thanksgiving, I picked up an ATI 2600 512mb PCIe card. It's a DirectX10 card, and it "kind of" allows me to play Crysis on Very High quality. That game is astounding! It's easily the most photorealistic game/realtime engine I've ever seen. Simply stunning! I dunno how to display the FPS, but it's slow and I've reduced it down to 800x600... Normally, it defaults to Medium quality... If you're also looking to play the most bleeding edge games, I'd go with the ATI 3000 series, or the Nvidia 8000 series. I'm not sure when Nvidia 9000 series are avaiable for retail, but they showed one off in a laptop at CES.
            • 3. Re: Looking for a rock solid video card - suggestions?
              jimmy@access.se Level 1
              Hi! The main use is AE and 3dsmax. It would be great if it was possible to use Open GL to speed up both my 3D scenes and the compositing in AE. I've had much trouble in the past with Open GL and had to turn it off. Never any luck with updated drivers. So, my main target is just to find one that simple works.

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/opengl.html

I found the list. Think I just pick one and hope it works :)

Thanks / Jimmy
              • 4. Re: Looking for a rock solid video card - suggestions?
                David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
                Generally, I think Nvidia has better Opengl drivers than ATI.

Also, some Softimage XSI users have reported problems with Nvidia 8800.. They say 7800 is actually faster.. So, I recommend doing more research, perhaps on a Max forum..

Has anyone used 2 ATI cards (crossfire)?