7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2008 10:33 AM by (Eden_Maxwell)

Application has moved message

After Effects CS3 8.0.2 -- OS 10.5.2

I get this message each time I launch AE; I also get this message when launching Photoshop.

It says click to repair, which I do. But the next time I launch, the same message. Evidently, the repair doesn't work. I trashed the preferences to no avail.

Now, I did move these apps from their original location for some disk maintenance--and then moved them back to their original partition.

Thanks for your help.
        • 1. Re: Application has moved message
          Level 1
          I had also changed the name of the partition that contained these Adobe Apps.

So, I changed the name of the partition back to its original name--which now allows AE, Photoshop, and Illustrator to launch without the application has moved message.

Is this a bug?

Thanks.
          • 2. Re: Application has moved message
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            No, it sounds perfectly reasonable. You changed the name of the application's location - the application got confused.
            • 3. Re: Application has moved message
              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
              Have you tried uninstalling your Adobe apps, changing the partition name, and reinstalling?
              • 4. Re: Application has moved message
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                >Is this a bug?

No, not really. A lot of configuration data is dependent on having the correct file paths in the prefs. The supposed fix will try to load the old config, rewrite the paths and save it as a new one, but obviously this does not always work and there's no guarantees. There is only so much the developers can do during development and re-partitioning and renaming stuff clearly fall into the more severe category and are nearly unpredictable. If this is a common occurence for you, I recommend to use system variables and UNIX aliases to redirect path information. this should allow you to rename stuff, yet apps will find the correct paths.

Mylenium
                • 5. Re: Application has moved message
                  Level 1
                  I appreciate all your comments.

I didn't try uninstall and install.

For now, renaming the partition with the original name allows me to launch AE, Photoshop, etc. with no application moved message.

I would, however, like to have the option to change the name of that partition--

I would try the system variables and UNIX aliases--and would value some guidance.
                  • 6. Re: Application has moved message
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                    A system-wide variable can be defined in your .chsrc file. You can set other variables by simply typing them in the command prompt, e.g. %set variable. this will of course only last until the next shutdown. Simialrly, you can designate any text file as a command script and contain additional commands in it. Aliases are simply defined by typing "alias" followed by the new command name and the parameter string definition. If you wanted to switch to a different directory via a short command, you could e.g. type "alias aedir="cd user/library/Adobe/After Effects" " and whenver you type "aedir" the directory will be opened. You can then further combine different aliases into new command strings. It's really quite complex, but very powerful once you understand it. I recommend doing some reading up on UNIX commands.

Mylenium
                    • 7. Re: Application has moved message
                      Level 1
                      Thank you for the explanation.

Of course, it would be easier if the Adobe alert actually fixed the location issue.

I appreciate it.