2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2008 11:10 PM by Mylenium

Animation preset--one letter at a time

I am looking for a text animation preset that shows one letter at a time. I have tried several of the presets and applied a mask, but I am assuming there is an automated way to do this, either with a preset or an expression of some kind.

Lee
        • 1. Re: Animation preset--one letter at a time
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
          "Shows" can be done a thousand different ways but let's just say you're scaling the letter up from 0% to 100%.
          What you want to do is spend about two hours reading about and then playing with text animators. You will simply apply your animation choices to a letter and use the Selector to move a set of frames along your text object. The frames will show you which letters are getting your animation settings. You will keyframe the selector position so it moves along your text object.

The sections in the manual only hint at the levels of complexity and variety.. you will also want to use the online help system for the more explicit information.

Warning: The whole process is quite confusing and frustrating for your first many efforts. But eventually you will see how cool the whole text animation systems are.

bogiesan
          • 2. Re: Animation preset--one letter at a time
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            >I am looking for a text animation preset that shows one letter at a
            >time.

Can be done in a million of ways. I'm assuming your problem is simply the animator falloff and range. Most presets are based on percentages and the default smooth falloff, thus you will always have more than one letter at a time affected. To change that, check the "Advanced" options of the text animator. Set the animator ranges to be based on character indizes and adjust the falloff to your needs. Soem reading up like David suggested certainly will help you understand the complexities.

Mylenium