1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 23, 2008 10:42 AM by Mylenium

.avi

Level 1
      Hi, I use a camera which records to .ave, and when you try importing .avi to AE it doesn't work, now I know that it telles you that .avi is incompatible with AE, but I have watched tutorials whereby they use .avi, it does however, have a little cone next to it, please help!

p.s. I have tried using a converter, but I find that a lot of quality is lost when doing so.
        • 1. Re: .avi
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >Hi, I use a camera which records to .ave, and when you try importing
          >.avi to AE it doesn't work, now I know that it telles you that .avi is
          >incompatible with AE, but I have watched tutorials whereby they use
          >.avi, it does however, have a little cone next to it, please help!

The cone is merely a sign that VLC player is installed on the system - it's the programs icon. Apart from that - AVI is not AVI. AVI (audio video interleave) is merely a container format just like Quicktime MOVs are. The file extension does not have any relevance to what's actually contained inside it - that's what CoDecs are for. In your case it#s probably some self-cooked MPEG-4 derivative and just like DivX, XVid and and assortment of other non-standardized CoDecs, AE will refuse to load them natively. your only option is to convert them and this really means you should convert them to Uncompressed, not some other compressed format.

Mylenium