4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2008 9:16 AM by (Chris_J._Howard)

Any way to fade channels independently?

has anyone come across a plugin that would allow you to change the opacity of each RGB channel separately over time?

or perhaps there is a way to do this using expressions?

any help with this would be appreciated!
        • 1. Re: Any way to fade channels independently?
          A. Cobb Level 3
          What exactly do you mean when you say "the opacity of each RGB channel"? There are built-in effects that can operate on each channel independently, and it's pretty easy to separate the three color channels out into three separate layers and combine them using blend modes, but I'm not sure what it is you want them to do with regard to opacity.
          • 2. Re: Any way to fade channels independently?
            Level 1
            so every layer has an opacity option from 0% to 100% right? but this affects all three channels of the layer concurrently. my question is, does anyone know of an easy way (possibly a plugin or expression) that would be like having options such as this:

* RED channel opacity 0% to 100%
            * GREEN channel opacity 0% to 100%
            * BLUE channel opacity 0% to 100%

I want to be able to selectively fade one channel's opacity over time...

none of the standard channel plugins affect opacity of a channel, rather shifting or swapping channels. (at least plugins with "channel" in their name, so i could be overlooking one i haven't tried)

and you're correct that i could isolate each channel and duplicate the layer 3 times and blend it back together, but there has to be a simpler way.
            • 3. Re: Any way to fade channels independently?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              >but there has to be a simpler way.

Probably there is, but I fail to see why such a simple setup would make you want to buy a plugin suite that costs a lot of money? No offence, but it's one of those cases where you are creating a problem without it really existing. If you're really concerned with the number of layers, then simply pre-compose and rig it with expressions or use effects such as Levels or Color Balance to "fade" each color component individually. You know, adjusting the black/white points of a channel is pretty much the same like animating its opacity...

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Any way to fade channels independently?
                Level 1
                thanks for your help. i found out how to do it -- using the Levels (individual controls) filter and animating the Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha Output White parameters. works great!